DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background...
90 talon (cali emmisions car) :(
Blocked off EGR valve

I did a boost leak test and came across some leaky throttle body gaskets. I replaced them and tested it with a bike pump. It held fine, absolutly no boost leaks. I went to plug back in the TPS, ISC, and a the idle switch. I found another connector that had a fair amount of dust on it. After looking around, I found the female end and plugged that one in too. Seems wierd that a sensor was disconnected all this time.

Went to start it and it reved to about 2,500 rpms and just sits there. I took it for a drive around the block and the check engine light comes if I don't make any inputs to the thottle. If I even blip the gas, the CEL goes away. Very annoying. When its warm it idles at about 2100 rpm. Other than that, it pulls very strong. I've adjusted the BISS screw (when grounded) and it will go no lower than 2,200 rpm. It responds as expected to adjustment, just not in the correct range.

This might be the problem though: Whoever had the car before me did some modification to the throttle body. The two little square holes inside the body before the throttle plates are JB welded shut. This was never a problem before though. So what the hell is going on??? What function do those two holes serve?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it actually has a bit of slack in it. I wanted to make sure that it was hitting the idle position sensor. I'm thinking about getting everything as back to stock as I can: unblocking the EGR plate, and chipping out those holes. I'm guessing those two holes go to some adjustments like the ISC or FIAV (so I've been told). I would think that blocking any holes would result in the engine stalling or idling too low, not idling high. I'm assuming that with those two holes blocked off and the BISS shut, the throttle valve is the only way left for air to get into the engine. Which doens't make sense because that it shut too.
I think I'm going nuts!

·
Registered
220 Posts
adjust your TPS, those blocked off holes block off the ISC and FIAV, yu dont *need* them per say, you should easily be able to get under 1000rpm's with them blocked off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I go about adjusting the TPS? It seems to simply bolt on into place. It could of gotten turned around when I took it off to install new throttle body seals. I guess I'll but it back on opposite. That does make sense why the CEL goes off just as soon as I touch the throttle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gsxant said:
try cleaning the throttle body.. maybe the butterfly/flap is dirty n clogging a port
Well, that is what I said above, the two square ports before the throttle body have been seal shut with JB weld. I'm thinking it has something to do with the TPS. It may have gotten rotated around and put put incorrectly. I'm going to take it off and let the car idle ad I adjust it and see what it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts