DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ignition fuse blew for the second time tonight. i know this is kind of a broad questions but what sorts of things should i look into as the problems that would be shorting it out? it is a 2g GST with mods listed in profile basically stock. it blew as i was backing out of a driveway i went from reverse to 1st and it just cut the engine. no radio no ac no anything electrical running inside except the dash lights (mainly cause i think the fuse for them is also blown but i dont have the covers to figure out which one is what) and headlights. its a weird ass situation i know. but if you can think of anything i should check out to maybe find a rhyme or reason behind it.

also if anyone has a scan of the 2G GST fuse box covers both underhood and underdash PLEASE send them to me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is one the strangest. something is shorting that fucker out repeatedly. i lost 3 fuses to it. no clue what the deal is.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Something like this happened to me a few weeks ago.. My car would start up when I put a new fuse in and idle fine, but after i drove it for a while the fuse would blow. It only blew out at low speeds. What I found out was that a wire that was for the fan that wasnt used anymore was getting eaten up by the power steering belt. Now, whenever I would run my car and go to a lower speed, I guess my fan would kick on and the wire would get power then ground out causing the ignition fuse to blow on me. I dont know if this is your problem, because it could be many things, but you could check. Do you have anything hooked up to your ignition fuse or ignition wire that could be causing it to blow out? At the time I was hooking up a gauge to my car and had many other gauges hooked up and thats what I thought it was an took me about a week to figure out what was wrong. Try to trace all the wires from the fuse and see whats grounding out.. Good luck

·
Registered
943 Posts
lljrll said:
.....What I found out was that a wire that was for the fan that wasnt used anymore was getting eaten up by the power steering belt. Now, whenever I would run my car and go to a lower speed, I guess my fan would kick on and the wire would get power then ground out causing the ignition fuse to blow on me.....
:scholar:

Hehe... no guessing that is what happened :p *gloats* Damn I'm good!*end gloating* Glad to see your putting your experience to good use there lljrll :)

Any luck on fixing your problem Dan?

·
Registered
266 Posts
tekky_98_TSi said:

Glad to see your putting your experience to good use there lljrll :)

Yes, I do remember how I felt when I couldnt drive my car.. It sucked! Took me a week to figure out my problem, but it was worth it.. Just trying to help those in need. Couldnt have done it with out you tekky! Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
943 Posts
lljrll said:

Took me a week to figure out my problem, but it was worth it.. Just trying to help those in need. Couldnt have done it with out you tekky! Thanks
Justin
No prob... in the last year my car has been parked for ~7+ months almost... imagine that :p and its my only car :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im on fuse 8 now. its something in the harness coming off the fuse box. as was replacing one and night my friend noticed a flash of light from that harness and it popped a fuse. so i unwrapped it, spread the wires out and looked for a bare wire. couldnt find crap. so i just spread them out and it last for a while then pops. good thing i found a 1g in a junkyard with all its 30a fuses and pantsed em. i have some backups now. im gunna go back and triple check every wire since i couldnt find it before. my interior lights, power locks and sound from my radio dont work also. started after the ignition fuse went. gotta find out where the problem is with that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
dantheman said:
well im on fuse 8 now. its something in the harness coming off the fuse box. as was replacing one and night my friend noticed a flash of light from that harness and it popped a fuse. so i unwrapped it, spread the wires out and looked for a bare wire. couldnt find crap. so i just spread them out and it last for a while then pops. good thing i found a 1g in a junkyard with all its 30a fuses and pantsed em. i have some backups now. im gunna go back and triple check every wire since i couldnt find it before. my interior lights, power locks and sound from my radio dont work also. started after the ignition fuse went. gotta find out where the problem is with that.
well the interior stuff nto working is easy...
that fure powers the ECU and everything else, radio etc that runs in ACC or gets constant power....

maybe the short is under the fuse block?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after having a friend watch it pop a fuse at night there is a flash of light under the fuse box. so i deduct that there is a bare wire that is grounding out its just a matter of feeling every individual wire and finding the bare spot.a pain in the ass but the wires only touch whenever im hitting some severe bumps so i havent really worried about it lately.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Any more of an update on finding your problem? I'm currently stuck in your situation and have been for the past week... I've traced everywhere that ignition wire runs to and can't find a bare wire or bad ground ANYWHERE.... Please help out if you can...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had the same problem, but mine would blow everytime i tryed to turn the key in the car. here is the deal. the ignition fuse controls everything that is an ingnition source (easy enough). So now you can can rule out everything else that is not connected to the signal/wire path. i.e. radio, misc. electronics, etc.

Basicly, even though everything else does not work, as long as the ignition fuse is the only thing blown, you do not have to worry about the other electronics.

Well, what happened with me is that the protective plactic peice on the back of my coil pack incasing the wires, came/broke off. Causing it grounded out on the engine resulting a short circuit. So, look to see if any ignition comp. can or is grounding out and shorting.

let me know what you find!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seriously appologize for bringing this thread up from the dead but i cant post new threads. Im having the same issue on my 96 gst. It started back in july. I pulled the battery tender off the car and went to start it, ignition fuse blows. Thought maybe just the fuse was old and original. Replaced it and it blew again. Ive traced it to a 6 wire harness under the dash. Its a black wire with 2 white stripes. Its IGN 1. The car gets maybe 1000 miles put on it a year if im lucky. It blows the fuse when the key iz switched to ON. Acc is fine, but as soon as it gets to on, it blows. Im not sure if a new ignition switch is in order or what. Really appreciate some help. Entire crnter console is tore out and under dash lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts