DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home from work and my car started acting funny again. It sounds exactly like a damn subaru, with no check engine light. The whole car vibrates when I try to accelerate and has absolutely no power. I changed the plugs and wires although they looked good, they are correctly gapped. I checked AGAIN for boost leaks, none were found. I swapped out my ECU with another that I knew was working. I'm still having the same problem.

The last time the car started doing this exact same thing I swapped the entire fuel rail and injectors for another set I had laying around. The car started to run better after that and untill today was trouble free for two weeks. I'm at a loss of where to go next. Do I replace the coil pack, the power transistor, CAS, try another MAF? The car has a stock NT bottom end, rebuilt running 9psi on a 14b with 450cc injectors.

Something I also found interesting is I unplugged the Coolant Temperature Sensor that sends the signal to the ECU and I didn't get a check-engine light at all. I figured it would flag immediately? I'm leaning towards a bad injector, I wish I had a logger so I could shut them down one at a time and see if it made a difference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue to me, when you changed your rail and injectors did you also change the filter? Or check for contamination? Dirty fuel at the rail is no good, also what are the pressures before and after the filter, maybe your engine is starving?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PROZIUM451 said:
Sounds like a fuel issue to me, when you changed your rail and injectors did you also change the filter? Or check for contamination? Dirty fuel at the rail is no good, also what are the pressures before and after the filter, maybe your engine is starving?
I haven't checked the filter yet, but I did replace the fuel pump when I started running the car. I will try to get a fuel pressure reading soon.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's a good habit to replace the filter with any mechanical change in your setup (i.e injectors, pump regulator...etc.) Just take your filter out shake some fuel from the clean end onto a piece of white paper, if there is dirt replace it. This also gives you an opp to test pressures.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can also wipe off the end and then blow into the filter to see if it's clogged. There should be mild resistance, replace if it is decently hard to blow through. A lot of people over look the fuel filter during upkeep. It should be replaced once every 3 or so oil changes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on taking care of the fuel filter and pressure test tomorrow. I still think it's going to end up being a stupid injector again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah do the filter anyway. The injector clogged for a reason.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pressures are within spec, and the fuel filter has been changed. I'm still having the same problem so i'm leaning towards an injector... I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow although I highly doubt that's the problem.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
turbolover said:
Was the car sitting for a long time?
To be honest, yes it was and I had to change the fuel pump when I started driving it cause the old one was rusted all to hell and wouldn't work... I have since ran it though (about 1 full tank of gas actually) It could be contamination, anything is possible. I have an extra gas tank, but the filler tube was cut so...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't edit my previous post, but when I said it sat a long time I mean... The car itself was parked in 2000 when the timing belt went on the previous owner, I bought it about a month ago for 200$ and swapped my engine in and did a 5 speed swap.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
that seems to be good compression....check injectors. Did you save any of the "old" injectors? The ones from the other rail?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Your coil could be acting up. My spark plug wire were falling off the Coil pack and it sounded like a Subaru just as you mention it. Test the spark on each plug.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pulled each individual plug wire one at a time and all appear to be getting spark very well. I do still have the injectors from the other rail.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your sure your o-rings on the injector sat right in the fuel rail and in the cylinder? Not to long ago when I swapped in my new injectors one of them didnt sit right and was allowing a massive compression leak and it sounded like what you described. Worth a check!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Check your cas. Mine was bad and I misfired all the time and it sounded like a subaru.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A lot more good information on things I should be checking, I did not replace the o-rings when I replaced the rail I guess that's where I should start. I'm also going to check the resistance on the injectors, and see if they are within spec.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went out and gave all the connections a good check, everything is secured tightly. Is there a way to test the CAS, and a better way to test injectors? I can hear them clicking with a long screwdriver but that's an unreliable method as far as I'm concerened...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts