DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get some of these importintelligance needles.From what i understand,they send you the kit to use your own existing needles.My question is ,what is in this kit? Do these use blue leds that you drill into the base of he needles or what? I have tried just coloring mine with a blue sharpie but looks like crap and isnt bright like on their pics in the website.So are these LEDs or what?Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
612 Posts
from what I understand you get NEW needles... your stock needles are like if you have a flashlight and are holding up a clear orange piece of plastic over it. these needles are like holding up a blue piece of plastic.. basically you just pull the stock needles off and put these on. The reason they look so much brighter is because the color they use (blue) transmits a brighter sprectrum of light and the materials they use are more light conductive. ... I hope i got that to come out like I wanted it... no doubt someone will have an issue w/ my explanation but thats how I understand it to be..

(PS.. that dude w/ the 240 SX they show did something with his bulbs too.. you may want to replace them with aftermarket ones that are possibly brighter.
see -> http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=69562
to find your bulbs that light your needles)

-Aaron

·
Registered
3 Posts
CleanGS97 said:
from what I understand you get NEW needles... your stock needles are like if you have a flashlight and are holding up a clear orange piece of plastic over it. these needles are like holding up a blue piece of plastic.. basically you just pull the stock needles off and put these on. The reason they look so much brighter is because the color they use (blue) transmits a brighter sprectrum of light and the materials they use are more light conductive. ... I hope i got that to come out like I wanted it... no doubt someone will have an issue w/ my explanation but thats how I understand it to be..

(PS.. that dude w/ the 240 SX they show did something with his bulbs too.. you may want to replace them with aftermarket ones that are possibly brighter.
see -> http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=69562
to find your bulbs that light your needles)

-Aaron
All they do is scrape off the paint, finely sand them, an use a florecent paint from a hobby shop or a highliter. Save your $.

·
Registered
612 Posts
really... I was under the impression they used an entirely different material that was also more light conductive (what exactly I dont know.) thanx for squashing that 1.... :tat: I think I can just get a nice sanding drum for ol' Mr. Dremmel.

-Aaron

·
Registered
405 Posts
Heres a pic of them installed ...

·
Elite DSMtalker
577 Posts
They are NOT replacement needles. They are TINY cardboard rings with LED's on them which wrap around the needle base, then there are two SMALL ass copper leads coming from each light, route them nicely, and be careful cause they are flimsy as hell. All in all it looks tight but talk about a PITA. I put em in a few cars, all turned out nice. Oh, and you will definatly wanna keep the back lighting, the needles dont make enough light to read the numbers like it looks like in the pics.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Correct - the numbers are lit from the reverse Indiglo gauge thingy. The light omitted from the needles can be seen as the slight blue circle under the needle. I'm actually thinking about replacing the Silver Indiglo gauge thingy I have with a brighter one, unless someone knows a way to make em brighter. I was thinking about wiring it straight to the battery to see if its my power source that makes it not so bright.

·
Elite DSMtalker
577 Posts
Faded said:
I was thinking about wiring it straight to the battery to see if its my power source that makes it not so bright.
The difference would not be noticble. Its not even worth your effort. Youd be blowing fuses if you were taxing the power that much, plus these aren't high current devices were talking about.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Damn =(

·
Registered
274 Posts
i made my own. i took my stock needles, sanded the back, painted them with flourescent paint, and put some leds close enough to where they would light up. it came out great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts