DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 GST AT, and the previous owner did some work to it, and Im not sure if he changed the injectors or not. They say 008 on the side, does that mean anything to anyone?

-Dave

------------------
91 GST AT

·
Registered
729 Posts
your car reminds me of "knight rider".

Um... sorry I don't know about the injectors.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Knight Rider". cool. Never heard that before :)

-Dave

------------------
91 GST AT

·
Registered
129 Posts
The AT DSM's have 375cc injectors or something like that.

I know why it reminds you of knight rider, hehehe it's a black car and the picture was taken on a desert-like place. LOL :D

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I thought it was 400cc injectors, but nonetheless, the 450's have 009 stamped on the side so they are definitely smaller than that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I saw in the JC Whitney's catalog that you can buy the night rider lights for the front of your car. I'm sure with a few mods you could get all 7 LED's to fint inbetween the headlights behind the mitsu symbol in that clear/translucent plastic. That would be sweet.

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wel, my 94 Tsi AWD A/T came with 380 cc injectors -stock. After getting a 16G, I thought it would be a good idea to get some M/T injectors (I got mine off of a 98 GSX -they were 450's). -I got no problems (minus a little 'flutter' from the LED Knock Mod every now and then around 15psi). -Hope this helps

-Eben
94 Tsi

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you swap in an ECU from a 5-speed too? How about the fuel pressure regulator?

The 1G automatics have smaller injectors (I think they are actually 390cc) but run higher fuel pressure than the 450cc equipped cars to compensate some. If you're still using the stock ECU you're likely running piss rich at Wide Open Throttle. Not only because the computer is driving 450's thinking they're 390's, but the fuel pressure is also higher than other 1G's with factory equipped 450's. While the ECU is able to compensate for the extra richness in closed-loop (up to 20%...your setup is at about 15%), you'd still be running excessivly rich at WOT though. Modifying your MAS may be enough to compensate for this if it's not too much.

While the 1G's 5-speeds come with 450cc injectors, the measurement is taken with an assumed fuel pressure of 43psi. The 1G 5-speeds use a pressure of about 36psi. So, the amount of fuel they deliver is actually the equivlent of 413cc injectors. The automatics use 390cc's running at about 43psi so I question if swapping the injectors and ECU in auto equipped cars is really worth it. The fuel system in the 1G 5-speeds delivers between 5% to 6% more fuel than the 1G automatics. Just enough to compensate for the slightly smaller horsepower rating of the 1G automatic. Hardly worth the trouble IMHO. The 2G fuel pressure for all turbo models is 43psi. What does all this info mean? It means I've got nothing to do at work, that's what. :D

[This message has been edited by Genius (edited September 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
295 Posts
well actually I was told that the AT ECU was designed for the 390s so it should be running exactly what it should be. No real way to tell except to get a AFC. Also DONT go higher than 15 psi with the 390s reguardless, many people have had problems with the AT (390cc injectors) over 15 psi. Also since most MT guys can run 17-18 psi with the 450cc then I would suspect that with the pump, 450's (which are really about 440), and an AFC you will not only be able to hit 17-18 but be able to control the mixture itself possibly leaning it out a little to push a little extra hp. Thats what I hope to do with my AT =]

Hope it helps

Murray

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does anyone know if the 1G automatics have a different fuel pump than the 1G 5-speeds?

The stock fuel pump sucks at higher fuel pressures (1psi of boost means 1psi higher fuel pressure). The 1G automatics see the same fuel pressure with 15psi as the 5-speeds do at 21psi. I think that if the automatics don't respond as well to higher boost than the 5-speeds, is more than likely that the fuel pump does not have as much reserve capacity at stock boost levels as the 5-speed cars do. Maybe that means a fuel pump upgrade and rewire is something that should be done earlier in the upgrade path in an automatic 1G verses a 1G equipped with a manual tranny. I mean you hear it all the time... "no higher than 15psi with the stock fuel pump". If that's the bleeding edge on a car with a base fuel pressure of 36, then 15psi is probably too much boost for the stock fuel pump to handle on an automatic 1G with a base pressure of 43. The flow demand isn't as high with the smaller injectors, I know, but I still think it will begin to lean out sooner.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
270 Posts
The stock turbo on the automatics is known as a 13G. It flows about the same CFM's as the Garrett T-25 turbo on the 2G's. Now you know why the 2G's get such a bad rap with our 'T-too small' turbo ;). At least the Garrett uses the same sized exhaust housing as the 14B. In fact, if Mitsubishi hadn't gone to Garrett for the turbos in the 2G, the 13G would likely have made its way on the 2G's since its boost characteristics are a close match for the T-25 and it was already in the Mitsubishi factory parts bin.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
270 Posts
To convert cc/min to lbs/hr, divide by 10.5. To convert cc/min to gal/hr, multiply by .015873.

I believe the turbo DSM's use peak and hold (low ohm) type injectors.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
84 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Genius:
To convert cc/min to lbs/hr, divide by 10.5. To convert cc/min to gal/hr, multiply by .015873.

I believe the turbo DSM's use peak and hold (low ohm) type injectors.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, low impedance injectors on our cars.

I helped a friend with an Auto 1G GSX swap out his stock manifold and O2 housing for a ported manifold and ported O2 housing from a five speed. I had NEVER seen the auto cars manifold, DAMN THAT THING IS SMALL! He has more top end now, but if he don't get a 16G soon I am gona have a heart attack thinking about how small that ****ty little turbo is!

He is getting 450's when he gets the 16G BTW.

Later,

Keith

------------------
Best pass to date 12.817 @ 108.42 with a 1.786 60'. Not bad for a 4 door huh?

Dyno sheets at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/1635/Galant_info.html

PS: Yeah, I know that time is slow for that dyno sheet. This track sucks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dsm4eva:
I thought it was 400cc injectors, but nonetheless, the 450's have 009 stamped on the side so they are definitely smaller than that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they have a Green Band around them?

------------------
Mike Smith
87 Buick Turbo
[email protected]
www.turbomike.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts