DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 GSX. Rebuilt 7-bolt with forged internals. Installed the engine, fired it up and it ran smooth except for a rubbing sound coming from the Timing belt area. Identified it as a very dirty CAS. Removed and cleaned the CAS, reinstalled it and now the car will not start. Cranked it over 10 times and stopped but got a loud backfire. I have fuel pressure and I assume since I got a backfire I have spark.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yes, you have a problem with your CAS. If it ran before you took it off and cleaned it, and thats all you did, most likely your problem is the CAS, or something involving it. Always start with the most likely culpret first. This is also why you don't add tons of mods all at once, so if something isn't right, you know exactly where to start.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Time for a new thread to ask my next question then. I was really hoping it wasn't the CAS because I'm not sure what year my 2G head is...but I guess if it ran the first few times with a '96 CAS then I'll probably just get a new one from the same year.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There are ways to tell, I just don't know specifically how. Try searching, otherwise start a thread asking how to. You can also check 1000aaq, just google search for it.
But if I were you, I would definately make sure to get the correct year. Just because it ran "fine" before, doesn't mean its right. I've heard so many people complain and bitch about these cars being peices of shit that aren't reliable. When in all reality, the owener of the car is a piece of shit, and hack job's their car together, hence the reliability. I always stress doing the job the right way, or don't fucking do it at all. Period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts