DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, during the "put back together" process my timing belt came off.

Obviously I know I have to do a timing belt job now. My question is, since this is an interference engine, how do I align my cam sprokets with my crank?

Do I have to remove the cams, set the crank to TDC and then re-install them in the correct position?

to put it short, if the timing belt is off, how do I line everything up?

Thanks.

Edit: And what would a shop charge? Any idea? I may not want to do this myself.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked there but you see, my exhaust cam moved when the belt came off and I don't see any place where it says how to set the timing if everything could be "off"

Anywho, after looking at all that's involved I made an appointment with Satan. They said I would have it back in about 4-5 hours from when I drop it off. I need my car back by thurs and I trust them to get it back to me by then. If I did this myself, not ever having done it before, I would probably mess something up. :)

I trust my local Satan. They ARE the ones that gave me free light bulbs and center caps just because they liked my car. So I'll give 'em some business.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$300 was my quote. When I pick it up tomarrow I'll know for sure.

The guy I talked to was very nice and seemed excited. They must not get much business. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
three hundo??? that doesnt sound too bad. . . im in the same situation as you were. i need to have the timing belt replaced, but im fairly new to DSM's and dont know if i can do it. I'd figured it would be more like 500. actually, when its all said and sone with, i'll prolly spend alot more than 500, because im pretty sure i bent some valves too. :(

Jeff

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
If your cams were still off (so the valves would have to be closed) rotate the crank to TDC, open the access hole to check the lower balance shaft phasing and align the two BS timing marks and then put the cams in making sure the cam timing marks were close. Then put a new belt on making sure to get final timing mark alignment right as shown in the VFAQ. But since your towing the car to the dealer just make sure to talk to the guy who's doing the job and make sure he's done a few before and knows to make sure the balance shafts get set in the correct phase. Since I disabled my BS's there was less to worry about. Did you use both new turbo cams?

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts