DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple Boston Acoustic 6x9 for the back. I took out the seats and the panels in the back and pulled out the stock 6x9s. Everything went as planned till I went to put the new ones in... the magnet was too big and was hitting the wheel well and stuff before the screw holes were in position. I ahve a spacer that allows me to set it at the right height so that it won't hit the well but then the panel won't go back on right? I was going to cut the panel to have the speaker stick through but then someone told me I should just bash in the wheel well. I'm new to this so does anyone have any advice on which approach I should take?

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
Try modifying the stock speaker grills in the back if they do hit the speakers. Mostly the stock speakers are back pretty far back from the grill. (like a inch or so) But if it actualy hits anytime playing or not, Just go to a good local stereo shop or hardware store(witch is a better bet) and get the grill that they use to cover speakers and remove the stock grill and make your own a little taller. If the speaker grill has to be more then a 1/4 to 1/2 inch taller then stock. I would modify the whole side panel in the back to give you the most room. Like always though getting something bigger then normal into a normal size whole will require modificatiom. And the best thing to remember before cutting ($expensive$) stock parts make sure you know what you are doing and your are comfortable(sp?) with the risk you are taking. Also if you modify the wheel well that a bashing you do to get more room on the inside will reduce the room on the outside. Finaly if the speakers mounting depth is greater then 4 inches 4.5 maximum then it won't fit without MAJOR modification.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I would say the path taken depends on what you want seen. If you want your new speakers seen, cut panel and put on the BA covers. If you want the stock look (think thieves,) then bash the well. If worried about clearance take a look at where it will decrease clearance, probably not a problem. If it was me, I'd bust out the BIG hammer if I had the clearance. Fortunately, with my Kenwood 6x9's, this was not an issue.
Just my .02.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay forget the bashing option for a second. The stock grills are physically attached to the panels. So I'd have to completely cut them out. Fortunately they are smaller then the BA ones so I have a better chance of cutting a perfect hole. My question is do I want to cut a hole tha has the BA speaker and grill pushing totally thru it or do I want to sandwich some of the panel in the speaker mounting (between the speaker and the spacer) to give support to the speaker in that area?

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
48 Posts
are you really attatched to the 6x9's you have right now? if not take them back, its not worth the trouble. i don't know how good ba's are, but i got infiniti reference 6x9 in the back w/ no mods except for some spacers behind the speaker so it would screw in tight. just measure your clearance and shop from there, unless you really love your speakers and i just wasted my breath, huh? in that case, cut out the grills and superglue them back on top :D

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Well, now that you put it that way and took my hammer away too. Hate when that happens... *IMO*, I would leave a little panel between the speaker and the mounting surface, spacer or whatever. This will not support the speaker though, but it will prevent the panel from squeaking or rubbing against the new grille. The four screws will support the speaker.
Hope this helps, can I have my hammer back now?

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had the same problem when i was installing Pioneer 6x9s in my car. You wanna know what i did? I got me a hammer. Bashed in the wheel well just enough so the speaker fit right. Worked perfect. Also about the stock grill. It's not permanently attached. There are plastic strips that you see only from the back of the panel. These you will have to cut out. (I did on mine) As for the grill that is seen from the outside....there are little bendable tabs on the back. If you straighten these out the grill will just pull out. I decided to keep the stock grill. That way the speakers don't attract too many thieves. :)

------------------
'92 Eclipse GS 2.0L NT
http://www.geocities.com/trueracers

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I bashed int the wheel well. It's not even noticable from the outside. I figured if my spekaers took a sh$t I could go right back to the stockers this way since I didn't mod the panels. Now just to be safe I'll go find something to re-coat the wheen well where the dent is just incase there's a crack there I can't see.

Thanks guys.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quadcylla

what did u use for spacers? I have the same problem, i just bought 6x9 infinity kappas and the magnet touches the wheel well alot.

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
Ilario said:
Quadcylla

what did u use for spacers? I have the same problem, i just bought 6x9 infinity kappas and the magnet touches the wheel well alot.
I'm getting so sick of your stupid questions. Did you even read the posts above yours. He bashed the wheelwell with a hammer to make room and didn't use any spacers. :rolleyes: Man, please try and use your brain for once will ya.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Way to go Quadcylla, the Boston 6x9's are SWEET!
Can you post a pic of the bashed wheel well? I've heard of people doing this, but have never seen it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts