DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a turbo cam from a 98 GS-t that I'm installing. I want to clean it before it goes in. Would carb cleaner be ok to use?

What would you guys suggest?

Note: I also just wanted to point out that I compared the GS-T cam to my stock one and from the looks of it I should yeild a pretty nice gain. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
turbo cam from a 4g63 in a 420a non turbo motor? Cant imagine that working, more power bro if it works though!

Dyno that bizatch and lets see the gains, all my N/T friends will be down at the local pull your part if it works out well.

I'd say carb cleaner will hit the spot, it works on lifters so why not cams?

good luck and god bless

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
Carb cleaner would work but it will take a few cans becuase most will splash off before really doing much. Same for brake cleaner. I'd buy a cheap bucket, a couple of natural paint brushes, and some mineral spirits or Kerosene and wash it down in the bucket using a brush to help spread the solvent and work at any nasty spots. Disposing of the used solvent is the main problem.

Steve

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SidozeGST said:
turbo cam from a 4g63 in a 420a non turbo motor? Cant imagine that working, more power bro if it works though!

I have 1st gen. So my non-turbo motor is a 4g63. Only the 2nd gen non-turbos were 420a. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll clean her up tomarrow.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Won't you need a "1g install kit" if there is even such a thing or just make some custom pipes or get a 2g ic and hoses.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
I have no idea what the last post is about.

Based on what I can tell from the manual the 1G 2.0l cams differ as follows:
intake NT opens 26 BTDC close 46 ABDC lift 34.993 mm
intake MT opens 21 BTDC close 51 ABDC lift 34.993 mm
intake AT opens 21 BTDC close 51 ABDC lift 34.700 mm

Exhaust NT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lift 34.700 mm
Exhaust AT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lift 34.700 mm
Exhaust MT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lift 34.993 mm

Since I'm not a cam expert I can't say if using the different intake timing with smaller overlap would help or hurt on an NT but the bigger lift on the exhaust cam should help.

Steve

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stevep said:

Since I'm not a cam expert I can't say if using the different intake timing with smaller overlap would help or hurt on an NT but the bigger lift on the exhaust cam should help.

Steve
I might go ahead and install the exhaust cam as well. From what I can tell, the lift is the same on my stock cam and this Turbo Cam, but the duration is longer. The exhaust cam seems to have a small bit more duration. I might as well install it if I'm going to be in there anyway I guess. But it looks VERY close to my stock one.

Anywho, I'll post my results.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
supergoat said:
I might go ahead and install the exhaust cam as well. From what I can tell, the lift is the same on my stock cam and this Turbo Cam, but the duration is longer.
I come up with the NT intake cam being 252 duration and the turbo intake at 257 from what's listed above.
The exhaust cam seems to have a small bit more duration. I might as well install it if I'm going to be in there anyway I guess. But it looks VERY close to my stock one.
I come up with a duration of 244 for the exhaust. Maybe the service manual is wrong but it only lists one set of specs for the exhaust timing with different lifts Turbo MT and the others. BTW, I got the lifts wrong, I gave you the service limits the spec is 35.493 (34.993) and 35.200 (34.700)

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts