DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with any of the aftermarket intake manifolds like the Venom one or the other one they sell through NOPI (STR maybe)? I have seen them in adds but I have never heard of anyone using one. I would like to know the port diameters and such. Is it made to fit to a 1g or 2g head and so on. Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
go with the extreme or the buschur sheetmetal intake manifold. i have seen the str and the venom and they both look very small for a dsm, i think they were made for hondas anyway. my friend has the extreme piece and it's real sweet, i'll own it soon.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sheet metal manifolds are race only though aren't they. I was under the impression that they kinda sucked for the street with a loss of low end for a gain up real high in the rpms.

·
Registered
871 Posts
maybe a little(very little) loss on the low end, but it sure makes up for it on the top end though. i have never heard anything about that from my friend, it's all about flow :D you don't race at 2000rpms do you?

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Those short runner intake manifolds are for race only cars with raised revlimiters, you are going to lose alot of power on the low to mid range.

·
Registered
871 Posts
blitz;

95 tsi-awd
hrc s-20g
k & n w/modded 2g mas and intake tube
hrc upper, lower, and turbo to ic pipes
greddy fmic
type-s bov
extreme 3" dp
atr 3" dp back exhaust(no cat)
apexi new avc-r
apexi new afc
denso 660cc injectors
denso 190lph pump
autometer phantom air/fuel & boost gauges
greddy egt gauge

uninstalled parts;
act 2600 clutch that i bought back in may
front & rear cross drilled rotors that my wife got me for christmas last year.
greddy turbo timer that i also got last year for christmas.

best et--->12.7 \
best mph--->116mph \___same run
best 60'--->2.5 /

i guess that's what i get for trying to race with the stock clutch. the mph suggests a high 11, and if i can get a 1.7 60' that suggests a mid 11...but i doubt it, i'd say i can get a real real high 11.
just for shi*s and giggles i also went [email protected]
plan to spend another $2-$3k over the winter.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

[This message has been edited by 4npower (edited October 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 4npower (edited October 04, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am wondering if the Venom manifolds are designed the for race only as the sheet metal intake manifolds seem to be. I know full race cars see good gains by going to the sheet metal mani but I am looking for something for the street.
Bill-the guy you know doesn't seem to have drivability problems at street speeds? Ecoli posted above about a big loss in the low end so I am still wondering how they are for the street. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am the guy Bill was referring to.
I have the Extreme manifold and many other parts that would make my car run kinda funny but really have no problems on the street. No stalling, bucking, backfiring, just the occasional flame out the tailpipe. On the highway things can get funny after an hour or so of cruising but nothing major. The manifold Extreme sells is the same design as the one on my car and Brent Rau's 9 second beast. So to sum it up, it'll get ya into the 9's & 8's and not kill driveability. BUT, you will lose a little on the bottom end. Look at my mods on my web page and realize that my car is very streetable.
http://home1.gte.net/cpq33642/index.htm

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST
old ride
\/

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wow, your car is insane, Tony. Are you still using a 2G MAS in that intake somewhere? What exactly is going on there? Have you run your car at a track at all?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sensational car, Tony. I take it you're running a Haltech to keep it all together? I'd be interested in your times also?

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Hey greenstreak,
Why wouldn't you just have a 1gen intake extrude honed? It'll be cheaper and I'm assuming more streetable. I would tend to believe that these manifolds vs. ported stockers, are kinda like the dual-plane vs. single plane manifolds on the v-8's. Dual plane sacrificed a little top-end for all around flow and the single plane didn't start flowing until a higher rpm. But, was still "streetable." Sorry about the v8 references; had to pull all that out of the memory banks from the old days.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love, Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Blitz---
Supra was cool, had a chance to make tons of money from it so i sold it.

Ecoli & hipogtr---
Still have the 2G MAS hidden in there, Haltech will be coming over the winter most likely. I haven't ran it yet on this new setup so I am anxious to see what it does too.

Back to the original question, I don't know if anyone mentioned it but to take ANY advantages of a bigger Intake Manifold you will want to get a bigger throttle body and ported head. And at least a 20G.

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST
old ride
\/

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by overboosted:
Blitz---
Supra was cool, had a chance to make tons of money from it so i sold it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah that fool pocketed $10,000 when he sold it. it was the g-ride though, i actually miss riding around in it, but the gsx kinda makes you forget about it some times...

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
212 Posts
Forcefed,

Do you have one on your car and what gains did you see from it ?

Like I said there a lot of people running real fast with the stock(free) or extrude hone intake manifold.

The only DSMs I see with the sheetmetal intake are usally the top ten DSMs.

Doug

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hehe, this post kinda blew up. :) I was just paging through a mag and saw the manifolds advertised and realized I had never heard of anyone using them. Personally I plan on doing the whole 1g head/tb/mani swap. A nice red Venom intake mani. would rice the engine bay up a bit though :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a BR RWD intake that is doing me absolutely no good. I have been running an Extrudehoned 1g intake and will continue to use that on my stroker motor when it goes in. I would prefer to use the sheetmetal intake on the motor but don't want to spend the $$$ and I have something better up my sleeve that's in the works right now. However I have felt the before and after differences and it was noticeable. But then again it depends on how fast you want to go and what sacrifices you are willing to make for it. In most cases when you go to a sheetmetal intake you'll lose the use of all of your stock sensors on the TB and intake. That means you have to have ECU work doen to it so your car can run properly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you really think that sheet manifold is worth $800 dollar on a street car ?

Many DSM have gone fast with the stock or extrude hone intake manifold.

I assume you are looking to run some low 10 second times. You have all the parts and more for sure. Please let us know what it runs when you go to the track.

Doug

·
Registered
83 Posts
The sheetmetal intake will show you big gains on the top end if you are set-up for it...(20g, cams, etc...). The loss in the lower rpm's will be minimal. And I don't think $800 is too unreasonable of a price unless you know how to weld aluminum. The materials wouldn't be all that much, but to have that assembled and built with good quality welds will cost you a pretty penny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts