DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to measure my intake temperature (after intercooler) and would like some suggestions on a proper sensor to use. I'm not sure if I should use a thermocouple, a thermister, or a RTD. Obviously I want the whole setup to be as cheap as possible.

Can I use a probe with my normal handheld multimeter to get voltage, resistance etc.? Or with that give me a large about of error (my fuzzy college memory tells me it will…).

It doesn’t need it to be that accurate (+/- 2 degrees F would be nice). I think I need a fairly good response time. I want to extend the wires into the cabin so I can see the temp while making runs. So it either needs long wires, or the ability to extend wire without mucking up the measurements. Also in the future I might want to be able to set up two probes and get some before/after temps on my intercooler.

My buddy at would has one thermocouple, but it cost a couple hundred bucks, and I would rather not spend that much. I know I have seen some intake temperature measurements on here and some vfaqs, so I assume someone out there has some experience with this kind of thing. Any help/links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I as well would like to have this setup. I have seen a gauge with 2 needles. And it has 2 probes. some good before and after numbers could be garnered with that setup, but the asshat who lived in France wouldn't sell over here.

Something inexpensive, not too ghetto and reliable would be nice. even one probe would be nice, but 2 would be better.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bohrn said:
Something inexpensive, not too ghetto and reliable would be nice. even one probe would be nice, but 2 would be better.
That sounds about right.

I looked on Omega.com, and mcmaster, but the number of choices overwhelmed me. I'm not really sure what i specifically need.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,361 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
1,361 Posts
The only problem with the Nordskog gauge is that it only goes to 200*F. You will easily see that on the pre-IC side on nearly stock boost levels. Once you start pushing the boost higher intake temps can hit the 300-400* range rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is interesting. I was looking at more scientific ones, with like a multimeter, and a probe made for more univeral situations. This gauge style seems like it will install much cleaner. very nice.

Iceman:
you list three above that all say "with two thremocouples" but the gaue shown only has a dial, is there a switch that flips it between the two thermocouple locations? Do you know is the thermocouples are a "thread in" type like shown in the coolingmist webpage?

I would rather digital so I could record some accurate numbers (however the cooling mist digital looks kinda getto), and would like both thermo couple reading at once; but that much break the budget. I guess i could get two coolingmist ones for 150$, and just deal with the getto look and to 200*F range. The sutometer ones are about 250$ on summit. That's pretty pricey.

AGGHH...im late for a meeting...

·
Registered
379 Posts
cool, but also very expensive.

I wonder if anyone has a probe and gauge for $50-$75 that works well, quickly and can measure enough of a range?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bohrn said:
I wonder if anyone has a probe and gauge for $50-$75 that works well, quickly and can measure enough of a range?
I can't find one.

I guess I could start with the Nordskog gauge and put it post IC, it should be under 200*F there. If it is over 200, then i need a better IC. I'm not sure how good a responce time it has. I think we need something pretty fast, as you are only on boost for a few seconds.

·
Registered
317 Posts
jc whitney carries cyberdyne electronic digital air temp gauges for $39.99 part#WL470269 and the sender is $15.99 part#WL470272 i hope this helps, i thought about that setup before but never had the time to install it

·
Registered
379 Posts
Steve, sounds good, keep us posted (thumb)

DSMLIFESTYLE, do you have any data on reaction time and temp range on those parts?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DSMLIFESTYLE said:
jc whitney carries cyberdyne electronic digital air temp gauges for $39.99 part#WL470269 and the sender is $15.99 part#WL470272 i hope this helps, i thought about that setup before but never had the time to install it
That only goes to 150*F.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts