DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1991 Galant VR-4 and have a chance to pick up some Road Race Engineering intercooler pipes for my car from someone (these things are hard to find and expensive, usually). If I pick that pipe set up, I will need to find a new front mount intercooler to complete it. My problem is, I'm not sure which intercooler to pick. I've heard of others installing Conquest/Starion intercoolers on Galant VR-4s without cutting the bumper at all. Just the hood latch support needs to be shaved and the intercooler needs to go in at a bit of an angle.. but it works. The problem with that is, I would have to send in the intercooler to RRE to have the ends modified so the inlets would fit the intercooler pipe kit. They want $225 to do that. So I need to buy an intercooler for $100-$150 and then spend $225 to have it modified and it's not even a really great intercooler. Either that or I can order a used larger one from the guy who has the intercooler pipes for sale (or from RRE). The problem with that is, while the intercooler is much better, you need to hack your bumper to fit it in. Normally, this isn't the sort of thing I would worry about but I was told that, if you get in a crash and have a hacked bumper, your insurance company will deny you any payouts. Now, I live in Wisconsin where we have lots of deer year round and lots and lots of snow and ice in the winter. The idea of hitting a deer, sliding into a tree/car, or getting in any other sort of accident and then being denied any money from my insurance company scares me. I may as well cancel my insurance if that's the case. If anyone knows if hacking a bumper will indeed be grounds for an insurance company denying your insurance claim, please let me know. And if anyone knows where to get a good 88-89 14-row Conquest/Starion intercooler, please let me know as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I believe that it is possible to have your car appraised and then have it insured for that amount. Then, no matter what happens, you will get paid for what it's appraised value is. If you insure it for that amount. Just say custom bumper, and whatever else you add or have done to your car. You should ask your insurance agent if they will insure it for an appraised amount. Don't say anything about your bumper to the ins. agent though. I'm pretty sure they do this with show and rare cars.

------------------
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, Insurance companies do insure for more than the book value of the vehicle, I had my Hawk done that way. It has $1000 Custom paint job on the tank, Custom pipes, chromework, one-off parts, etc. They looked it over, and got a list from me of all the things that had been done to it, and took several pictures. They have it insured for the book value, and what it would cost to get another bike to the same level of custom,(to replace it). But I gotta tell you, If you ever have an accident they'll probably go over it with a fine-tooth comb and try to find anything they can to keep from paying out the extra. If you have an accident while street racing, all bets are off.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
DO NOT SAY ITS A RACE CAR!!!!
i had a 90 crx and after one of the kids of a state farm employee saw me at the track my insurance doubled. before that, the car was classified as a show car. even that can raise your insurance.
most ins co dont even know what a fmic is. so i wouldnt even say anything about it.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Even if you do mod the bumper to fit the bigger intercooler and then something unfortunate happens and you do need to file an insurance claim, I doubt they would even know. If you don't tell them they would have no reason to look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts