DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ordered a ssautochrome FMIC kit from ebay. ( dumb I know) and after drilling a hole in the front of the car to make it fit and much hassle (3 damn days) I finally have it mounted and lined up good. The piping they gave me was not long enough so I tryed to make it work by modifying my stock hoses. I'm 5 miles down the road and BOOM! i blew one of the stock hoses off because it was barley not long enough. Here is the link to the kit i have. if needed i can take pictures of the actual setup. The biggest question I have is i have a stock turbo on a 6 bolt engine. The turbo is facing the opposite way of the inlet for my intercooler. So I cannot think of a way to make it work with the intercooler i have? I am going to purchase a piping kit to make it the rest of the way one with a 180 degree bend pipe so that the turbo pipe will be turned around. (also the the outlet on the turbo is like 1.75 or 1.85 inches which is a akward number to find piping for. Any suggestions would be great. LInk to the intercooler: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110260764196&fromMakeTrack=true

·
Honorary Administrator
2,511 Posts
Which part wasn't long enough? You can buy a chunk of silicone tubing and cut it to fit your application :dunno: Are you saying you don't have a J-pipe?

Which turbo do you have?

The SSautochrome kits are generally pretty good for the money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the turbo does not have an area to bolt to. you have to put a coupler over it. the outlet is facing directly twords my air intake (passenger side) so the pipe has to bend 180 degrees to meet the intercooler inlet

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Dasleeper said:
the turbo does not have an area to bolt to. you have to put a coupler over it. the outlet is facing directly twords my air intake (passenger side) so the pipe has to bend 180 degrees to meet the intercooler inlet
Ok, First off.. Rule #7, its in my signature.

Second, you need to take the compressor housing off, go to a shop that can weld and have that elbow turned around. That means they cut it off, they turn it around and weld that shit facing the right direction.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

thats what the turbo looks like (the right one) when its on the car the outlet and the inlet are facing the passenger side of the car

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Dasleeper said:
thats what the turbo looks like (the right one) when its on the car the outlet and the inlet are facing the passenger side of the car
Explained above.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why spend the time doing that and the money when i can buy a piping kit with a 180 degree pipe for a $100 shipped?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The_EE said:
Explained above.

BUT, in my opinion, it would be a waste of money. Why spend money modifying a poopie caca T-25 when you could spend an extra $200ish and get a new turbo, something you'll probably want to do in the future anyway :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
because im broke and i just want my baby back on the road :( right now i cant drive it because of the stupid intercooler piping not being long enough.

·
Honorary Administrator
2,511 Posts
Then just cut the 90 degree elbow off the turbo and use the piping as it came :dunno:

Why would you want to add all that extra piping into the setup? This isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Dasleeper said:
why spend the time doing that and the money when i can buy a piping kit with a 180 degree pipe for a $100 shipped?
Because it will cost you about $20 to have it done, its more efficient then shoving the air into a 90 degree bend and then a 180 degree bend.

A circle is 360 degrees, you are talking about shoving the air into piping with an intial run of 270 degrees or 3/4ths of a circle, the point of the piping is to have as few bends as possible and as minimal as possible. A 45 leading into a 45 is prefered over 1 90 degree bend. 1 90 degree bend is preferred over a 270 degree bend, do you catch my drift?

Dasleeper, you need to follow rule #7.

Use Capitals.

·
Honorary Administrator
2,511 Posts
Dasleeper said:
100 shipped? I bet getting that elbow cut off and welded back on the opposite way would cost less than 50 bucks.

·
Honorary Administrator
2,511 Posts
Dasleeper said:
lol cut it off the turbo? i do not have the tools to do that. Wouldnt i also have to remove the turbo?

Yea, cut it off the turbo. Why is that funny? Do you not own a hacksaw?

Yes, removing the turbo would make it a lot easier but I'm sure it could be done if it was still on the car if you were very careful. Either way it will be more efficient than a 180 degree bend, as well as not look as monkey rigged.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts

1 - 20 of 36 Posts