DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got 'em yet? Can't seem to find them locally. If you're running them or have tried them; what is your opinion? If good where are they at? I seem to remember a recent dyno test in one of the car mags that showed the plugs themselves added a few ponies. I figure a more complete burn?

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've heard great things about them. I have a friend who's running them on his 666 hp @ the wheels TT 300zx and he loves them. I think they're kinda expensive though...

Bucky
'90 Tsi AWD
'90 300zx

·
Registered
871 Posts
the only good thing about iridium plugs is that they will last forever. stick with good ol' ngk plugs, you might have to change them once a year but at $1.27 each you can't beat them. i also know for a fact that the fastest eclipse in the world runs them, yep that's right brent rau runs good ol' ngk bpr?es. i'd be willing to bet that sean runs them also. this topic has been discussed several times before and the outcome is always the same "they just aren't worth the money"
as far as the test a magazine did....that magazine was import tuner and if you look at that issue there was an advertisement for them on every other page, hmmmm. any plug will show a hp increase when they are brand new but put 50-100 miles on them then redyno. that's why people like brent,sean, dave buschur, and any other fast dsm change thier plugs after every run.
but if you insist on spending $18 each for plugs then by all means do it.

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
748 Posts
I tried to buy them at a discounted price at the Nopi Nationals but they were $64 for 4 plugs. You can buy them at regular nopi stores...but they are not cheap. I heard the single prong NGK plugs are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the NGK IRIDIUMS at O'reileys auto parts for 28$, i didnt notice that much of a gain although there was a little

·
Registered
652 Posts
I got mine from machv.com I ordered platinum plugs and they sent me iridium. I haven't tried them yet because my car is still down.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've been using the NGK Iridiums for about 8 months-- no problems at all. Didn't notice any power gains, but that was on a completely stock car at the time. I got them at CarQuest Auto Parts for about $5-6 each. I checked them the other day and they still look fine, even though I am pretty sure my car is running rich.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have Iridiums waiting to go in whenever I decide to put them in, I don't know what's in there right now, never checked.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last time I changed my plugs I put in some Denso Iridiums. I like them. A friend of mine gained nine whp on the dyno with his dsm after putting them in over NGK's. The NGK's were fairly new also. I would dyno my car to see if it changed but AWD keeps me from doing it. $60 seems steep for just plugs but I've spent more money on stupider shit than that (non car related) so I figured what the hell.....I'll try 'em.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had them in my eclipse for about 25k miles. They seemed to work like any other spark plug, though. I changed them when I put the new turbo in though. I don't think I'd pay $70 (got em through machv) again for them, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought these plugs for 28 bucks. They should last a long time so i think they are worth it for the money. Noticed a small gain at 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The only time you should ever see a 'power increase' from changing plugs is if your old ones where worn a little, and thus the air gap was larger, increasing the voltage required to make a sucessful jump.
As long as the plug fires, then it will ignite the combustion process. It is only when the plug fails to fire that you will notice a 'power increase' when you switch to new (properly gapped) plugs.

Rogue

·
Registered
288 Posts
The only time you should ever see a 'power increase' from changing plugs is if your old ones where worn a little, and thus the air gap was larger, increasing the voltage required to make a sucessful jump.
Ditto.

Some of the misinformation comes from Turbo Mag. Turbo mag did a test on Denso Iridium plugs a year+ ago. They noted that there was a HP increase(3 hp on a Honda I think). BUT they noted at the end of the article however that there were several variables that werent consistent in each test. So why did they call it a "test" instead of invalidating the whole thing? Make advertisers happy and they needed a story to take up space. At the time Denso was swamping Turbo and its sister mags with ads.... I thought it was pretty lousy reporting to do a whole page article on something to make it sound like it works then drop in only two very crutial sentences near the end that, if you know how to see through BS, basicly said the test was worthless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have heard good things about the iriduims, I know of many SyTy owners that use them. I would not use them if you have a ton of tuning to do though because you could easily foul them out. I will be using some regular v-power ngks a heat range colder in my truck next year when I start tuning it but once its good I will switch to the iriduims. Hope that helps some of you. Oh and I am surprised to see how much you guys are paying for them, I bought 20 iriduims (3 vehicles) and the price was like $120. Goto www.sparkplugs.com they rock.

·
Registered
560 Posts
E-bay, right now 4 plugs for $38. plus $5 shipping. $10 per plug isn't to bad. Buyers beware, adjusting or checking the gap an iridium plug will (may) most definately break the electrode. Iridium is so rediculously brittle, exspecially in the diameter that the electrode is. If you gap them, or even check the gap with one of those cheap round gappers, you may crack the electrode. If the plug has a small fracture in the electrode, it may very easily break off in the cylinder due to high heat, or detonation (knock). Be really carefull with these plugs. Always check gap with feeler guage!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I believe the NGK Iridiums are already gapped, so you don't have to mess with it. Mine were fine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put mine in last night, and yes it said they were already gapped so I didn't mess with that. Anyways, I do notice alot smoother driving but only because my old ones were crap. Not sure how they compare to just normal NGK's, probably the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts