DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was recently broken in to so now i am in the market for more gauges. I had autometer boost(mechanical) and a/f. I am looking for boost and egt. I was thinking of greddy or apexi cuz some people say they are more accurate. or another autometer but this time electrical.

The question is.....Is greddy or apexi worth the extra money?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you want them to look fancy, then yes. If you just want them to function properly and look halfway decent, go w/ a less expensive brand and spend the extra $ elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
a mechanical boost gauge is a mechanical boost gauge....you're paying for the Greedy name and the cosmetic appearance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Apexi Electronic Boost and EGT guages and love them. They are super expensive at $350 apiece, and come with only a 30 day warranty, but they look great. I have the white face indiglo ones which match the indiglo gauge faces I have in the cluster. The advanced features - peak hold, warning, and 30 second playback - are great too. I use the peak hold and warning features a lot. I wouldn't want to have gauges that didn't have warning lights...it's a feature that's worth the money in my book. The 30-second playback is real cool too, but I've hardly used that one. One place it has come in handy is recording drag runs to see how much the boost trails off towards redline for the T-25. By correlating it with the pocketlogger data, It helps me to adjust my shifting points to utilize the turbo in its most efficient range.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Go with Autometer Lunar series they are the best in my opinion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you wanna go electronic, and are willing to spend the money. Then buy Defi Gauges. They are some of the baddest units I've seen around.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I had autometer before my greddy gauges and the damn needles would get stuck, and i'd have to flick the plastic lense to get it working again.......P.O.S. Just looking at the greddys you can tell they're made better. If you have the money, buy the expensive ones.....IN MY OPINION, you generally get what you pay for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GSXtsy said:
I had autometer before my greddy gauges and the damn needles would get stuck, and i'd have to flick the plastic lense to get it working again.......P.O.S. Just looking at the greddys you can tell they're made better. If you have the money, buy the expensive ones.....IN MY OPINION, you generally get what you pay for.
Actually my Apexi boost gauge sticks sometimes too and I have to flick it to make it work again. It seems to only happen when it's humid out though...weird. It's a little aggrevating sometimes, but definitely tolerable.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
AudioGod said:
If you wanna go electronic, and are willing to spend the money. Then buy Defi Gauges. They are some of the baddest units I've seen around.
Defi makes an incredibly awesome gauge. Especially when comparing price to Apexi and Greddy. You can find the Defi's a little cheaper. I am looking into buying a whole gauge package..probably 4-5 gauges right now..... and my choice is the Defi's.

·
Registered
156 Posts
what about the SPA gugaes. 2 in 1 guages? i havent met anyone who hs this. looks cool though...has a warning light too. what do u guys think? woh $340 ??

ian
90 tsi awd

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
By the way Defi gauges are manufactured by Nippon-Seiki of Japan. If your unfamiliar with that company they make some high quality instruments....OEM and aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
turboawd11 said:
what about the SPA gugaes. 2 in 1 guages? i havent met anyone who hs this. looks cool though...has a warning light too. what do u guys think? woh $340 ??

ian
90 tsi awd
Those were my other choice. It came down to making my choice betweem SPA and Defi. Spa is very good also. Turbo deisel guys rely on these gauges and they are under a hell of alot more pressures and extreme conditions then most of us are. Depending on my budget in the next few weeks I may still get the SPA's but right now the Defi's happen to fit my budget.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks for the links.

My opinion from looking at them:

They looks very nice.
Good range on the gauges.
I would NOT pay $100+ for a boost gauge. (Plus it says: This gauge MUST be used with a Defi Link control unit, and DOES NOT WORK on its own)
The EGT gauge is pretty nice, and looks like it might be worth it.

Do the probes on the EGT gauge respond quickly?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
The D-Series gauge can be used without the Defi-link control modual. I know that the D-series is just a mechanical boost gauge. The Defi-Link gauges does need the Daisey chain. The BF series uses the chain also I beleive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts