DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
It would be a very, very good idea. I've heard alot of stories where the hood got un-latched and it smashed through their windsheild. Unfortunately it happened to Evan2. His eclipse was totalled :(

·
Registered
764 Posts
Drive on the freeway and watch how much your hood bounces. That alone will convince you to get pins.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Some people seem to get away without using hoodpins....... at least for a little while anyway. For as little as the set costs, why not just get them to be safe? Sparco makes a high quality hood pin that looks good. Personally, I would'nt take the chance running around without them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yea, use hood pins man. Why risk damaging a $400+ hood and your car for a measly $30? When I bought my VIS XGT C/F hood from NOPI they sold me a set of Sparco hood pins for $10. Trust me, buy the pins and be safe!!

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
Exactly what I was going to say! My CF hood has a factory latch.
Not only are you risky the hood, $500 in my case for hood and shipping. But also windshield and other body damage. I am not crazy about putting them on my car, b/c it is slow, and don't want to be a poser. But when I think of the $$$ involved I can live with the look of hoodpins.

VenomEclipse99 said:
Yea, use hood pins man. Why risk damaging a $400+ hood and your car for a measly $30? When I bought my VIS XGT C/F hood from NOPI they sold me a set of Sparco hood pins for $10. Trust me, buy the pins and be safe!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input guys. reason i didnt want to put th pins on because they stuck out too much, i bought some locking pins that wont stick out as much as other pins

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have ran a Carbon Fiber hood for six months now with no problems without hood pins. It can be done, but some feel that it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I am one of those people that feels the risk is too high. I know more than a few people that had hoods fly up and crack winshields.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been going 2 months without hoodpins. I have them still in the wrapper in my room. It usually depends on the brand name and quality of the hood itself. VIS makes damn good OEM latches. The hood bounces on the freeway, but right where the windshield is because the fact that it only weighs 15lbs or so. Eventually I will be putting the hoodpins on, but for now the hood is holding up extremely good. Where I got my cf hood from, they wouldn't sell me the hood unless I agreed to purchase hood pins along with it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I already have mine on. I drove for 2 days with no hood pins. I went on the freeway once then I got the pins installed. There is no way. Even if the latch is good on the VIS(which it is becasue I have one). I would not take a CHANCE of ruinging a 400 dollar hood and a winshield and possibly getting in an accident.

·
Registered
541 Posts
TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG said:
I've been going 2 months without hoodpins. I have them still in the wrapper in my room. It usually depends on the brand name and quality of the hood itself. VIS makes damn good OEM latches. The hood bounces on the freeway, but right where the windshield is because the fact that it only weighs 15lbs or so. Eventually I will be putting the hoodpins on, but for now the hood is holding up extremely good. Where I got my cf hood from, they wouldn't sell me the hood unless I agreed to purchase hood pins along with it.
you know i ordered my hood from vis and they flat out told me that i would be a dumbass to trust a 2 piece hood with a oem latch even theirs... if you risk it your being a dumbasss and risking alot of peoples lives on the road at the same time...

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
James, I saw your sig, what happened to the engine??????

Super Talon said:

you know i ordered my hood from vis and they flat out told me that i would be a dumbass to trust a 2 piece hood with a oem latch even theirs... if you risk it your being a dumbasss and risking alot of peoples lives on the road at the same time...

·
Registered
183 Posts
why are cf hoods so prone to flying off, compared w/ stock? is there really THAT much difference? does the lighter weight make it want to fly off when even a small amount of air gets under it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
91RSlaser said:
why are cf hoods so prone to flying off, compared w/ stock? is there really THAT much difference? does the lighter weight make it want to fly off when even a small amount of air gets under it?
The hood flies off because of air passing over it, not under it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
pc080189 said:
James, I saw your sig, what happened to the engine??????

ummm long story short... massive scoring of the cylinder walls... i did it when i was still nt, i drilled the intake manifold and didnt get all the chips out... I THINK.... but i knoticed it when i had the head up and was turboing. I just kinda let it slide but when i was spitting liquid out the exhaust i desided to do a compression test here is what i got. (10:1 motor)

165 175 185 195 not to bad across but not good
now wet
195 215 240 350+ (The guage stops measuring at 300 and it pegged its self near what i would say was 400

its real interesting on what it did but now im going to rebuild the motor into a super low compression motor for high boost... Im debating between 7:1-8.5 unsure yet if its possible but hey it does not matter right now im as broke and still owe $15k for the last motor... this rebuild should be less then $1k

·
Registered
721 Posts
Did you buy the locking hood pins from Spectre?? They seem so weak, like they would break easily. Not well made IMHO. I was looking at hoodpins for a more secure hood, and those are probably the worst ones out there, except for the "fake" hoodpins. INVEST in a nice set of hoodpins, do it for your car. You spent 500+ on a hood and you are going to trust it to a cheap set of hoodpins...........???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts