DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets,
How's it going? Well got some strange shananagans going on over here...yesturday on the way into work I got a CEL go on...it stayed on all the way to work...and was on when I left last night...I finially went to pull the code this morning got a code 44...coil pack...well at first the car wouldn't start..then it would turn over but if i gave it some gas it would die. Well I pull the coil pack and check the resistance across the primary and secondary coils and got these results:

primary coil

cylinders 2/3 0.8 ohms but would sorta go to 0.9ohms for a sec then back to 0.8ohms

cylinders 1/4 again the same reading of 0.8ohms with a little fluctuation

seconday coil

cylinders 1/4 13.28 kohms but would also jump around to much higher numbers but go back to 13.xx

cylinders 2/3 would be a bit lower at 13.05kohms but also not give a steady reading

what do u think of this...according to the shop manual the primary is abit in the high range and the secondary is also in the high range but still in specs...i'm assuming I'm using the multimeter correctly.

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
Be warned that the infamous code 44 can mean either that your coil pack is dying/dead or that your ECU is on it's way out due to leaky caps! I have personal experience with this.

If the resistance in the coil pack was even slightly out of the specified range, then it's toast. This was the case with mine. I got one out of a junkyard for under $40 and everything has been fine since. Also, if you have not replaced the caps in your ECU, do so NOW! Not until I did this did my ignition problems and error code readouts (code 44) go away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm pretty sure its not my caps...since they were replaced by a friend of mine a few weeks back. Granted they were starting to go south...but caught it in time. Is it possible that its my "power transister"...though i'm not sure why it could be...but its all that's left in the code 44 rule book :).

hmm, anyone from NJ that knows where to score one? short of going to Mitsubishsi..

thanx again folks,
-jeff-

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
You can get a coil pack and/or transistor from any 4G63 turbo or non-turbo motor. Many cars you will find in junkyards came with these: some Hundays (actually says "Hunday" on the valve cover instead of "16 Valve" or "Mitsubishi" (JDM).... weird), Galant GSX, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the quick reply...so I could pull a coil off of any of thoes cars you listed...allrighty then I'm gonna hit the junk yard tomorrow mulitmeter in hand :). But I've got a silly question for you...mind you physics was a LONG time ago for me...but when I measure the resistance in the primary coil does it matter which terminal gets the + and which the - ?

ie if i'm gonna check the #1 and #4 cylinders the plug looks like this :

(1) (2)
(3)

and I measure the resistance between (2) and (3) does it matter which one gets the red (+) lead off my multimeter?

thanx again
-jeff-

cause i just dbl checked and got a .9ohm reading then ...

·
Registered
562 Posts
coil resistance

primary coil

cylinders 2/3 0.8 ohms but would sorta go to 0.9ohms for a sec then back to 0.8ohms

cylinders 1/4 again the same reading of 0.8ohms with a little fluctuation

Your meter can't resolve 0.85. it's rounding up-down to 8. .9.
measure the coil when HOT, thats when it fails.

I had code 44, unplugged and reconnected, error gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts