DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 AWD Talon. I purchased the car from sombody, they had the car sitting in their drive way for about 2 years. The first time the car had been turned on since then was when I came around. I drove the car around for about 3 months. Once when I was driving one of my cooling hoses bursted. It had swollen up. Over heated my car. I replaced it. Then one night I'm driving home from work and I see my engine is over heating. I stop and pop the hood to see that the motor is losing a large amount of coolant. Since it was too dark I had to return the next morning to inspect what had happened. I can't see any damage to any of the hoses unless there is one hidden. When I squeeze the upper radiator hose. I hear air escaping from somwhere in front of the engine. I can't tell if its coming from the block or the head. Its strange. And now, when I turn the car on, it idles very high, at about 2,000 rpm. It never used to idle that high until now. Can someone please help me out. Is my motor blown? Anything will help, thanks guys!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would guess that your headgasket has bought the farm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
is your thermostat ok? before jumping to the idea of having a blown HG, check if your oil is milky under the oil cap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I don't really see any milky substance under the oil cap..

I've got 2 more quick questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I'm trying to get as much info as I can before spending any money on this problem.
I've got one more question, there is oil all over the tranny, I can't seem to find where its comming from. I believe that it has somthing to do with the car being overheated. Any suggestions?

One more thing, the motor idles very very high, stays at 2k but has gone all the way up to 3k. Is it possible that the valves are stuck open? What would that mean? Thanks in advance!

-Michael.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts