DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks interesting. The idea looks like running open/no exhaust, so you would want to install it as far upstream in the exhaust flow as possible. (if that makes sense)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Down pipe or before the cat I would guess. This lady at a muffler shop said that if I did it before the cat that I would lose all back pressure and the car will run like crap. I told her the less restrictive the exhaust the better for a turbo but she believes it will run crappy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Had one in my 99 trans am.It rattled when closed and died shortly after sold it to guy that said he didnt care about the rattling.Waste of money.Then got a dmh..also rattled when closed but at least it works good.I am selling it to another guy that dont care about the rattle.There is a company that makes more expensive ones but totally different design and supposedly can't leak.Get me one of those this year I think for my 99 ta.Dont really want one on the talon.

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
mr casual said:
Down pipe or before the cat I would guess. This lady at a muffler shop said that if I did it before the cat that I would lose all back pressure and the car will run like crap. I told her the less restrictive the exhaust the better for a turbo but she believes it will run crappy
The lady doesn't know what she's talking about and obviously has no turbo experience. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
"13HP on a LS1 Trans Am"
I've heard more like a 5HP gain on a LS1, but that could vary some. I have one on my '02 SS Camaro, after the cats and before the muffler (below the right rear seat). I leave it open all the time and it sounds great with no drone.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,319 Posts
The idea is as old as time, but I've heard mixed reviews about this product.

If your going to do it place it before the cat. You should pick up a ton of HP over the stock system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've juggled the idea of that for a while now in my head, and since I first saw it and thought about it using one years ago, I still don't. I guess in my opinion it's not practical, at least for myself personally. To each his own.

·
Registered
797 Posts
my friends running a system like on his 1.8T GLI...the orginal idea for that was for the domestic cars...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Scaring people is always fun. I would try it out, if I had money to burn.

I wouldnt see any sense in using it if the car it was being put on already had a good flowing exhaust system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts