DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Tsi has a ported 14b turbo I like very much. This car has seen the extent of modifications and it's time to begin modding the 91. Since I purchased my 91 Tsi I have been reading up on all the posts I can find on these 1G's that I regretably skipped in favor of my 2G so I'm a little green. :rolleyes:

1. My goal is to mod my 1G to run mid 11's and be streetable at the same time. I'm thinking I'll require a 20G turbo but would prefer an 34mm internal wastegate without boost creep if possible? If it is clipped only 7 degrees I'm shooting for full spool no greater then 3500 rpm.

2. I would prefer a full 2.5 exhaust with test pipe as a means to prevent creep, keep the noise quieter and help with low end but would this exhaust size hinder my mid 11 second goal?

3. Any preferences on FMIC's? Buscher's FMIC looks like it can do the job but it's $1350.00

4. What size resistor do I need and where do I connect it to do my own MAS mod to prevent fuel cut? Is this necessary? The 98 is more tolerant to fuel cut then my 91 so do I need to be concerned here or will my S-AFC solve my problem or will both?

Thanks again,

Bill Norton
98 TsiAWD
91 TsiAWD

·
Registered
231 Posts
Your turbo choice should get you there (ported) or drop a little more money and go for a frank series, but I don't think you'll find one with an internal wastegate.

The AFC will compensate for fuel cut by changing the amount of incoming air the ECU sees.

You'll need a 3" turbo-back (test pipe)exhaust system to go 11's. With an extrnal wastegate and dumptube (plumbed into the downpipe to be street legal) you won't see any boost creep.

Larger injectors, probably 760's

Definatly a FMIC!

You did think of upgrading the fuel pump to a Walbro or something right? You'll need it for all the air you'll be pulling in.

All necessary gauges, 4bolt rear end(if you don't already have it???)

Upgrade the clutch or you'll bee slipping all the way down the track.

I think that's it (I might have missed a few things), you might even be able to break into the tens with the above (frank turbo). But you might also break a lot of drive train parts.

Hope this helps,
Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your definately going to need a 3 inch exhaust. Ported o2, manifold, turbo etc. You can see mid 11's from the 20g, but head work is going to be a must. I recommend atleast a 3 angle valve job with some porting on both the intake and the exhuast side of the head. Some Webcams, and adjustable cam gears are not a bad idea either. There are alot of other front mounts that you can use beside the buschur. I personally like the Griffen and I use it on my 2g. You can get yourself a nice spearco. And have any local pipe bender make the piping. I am working on a 1g intercooler for under $1,000 that will include everything from the intercooler to the Throttle Bodt elbow. All the piping is going to be mandrel and 2.5.

Richard www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

·
Registered
28 Posts
Storm, I'm not quite sure what your trying to say about lag and clipping the turbo but do understand that the larger the clip the more the lag will be. It will take longer to spool but the benefit of a larger clip is more top end flow at higher rpm, i.e. less back pressure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys :D

I picked up a 93 laser rear end and axels for $535.00 from the junk yard this morning. Seemed fair. Made sure they were from a five speed with cups and all. Definitly needed. A denso hot wired fuel pump will be going in.

Finding a quiet enough full 3" exhaust with test pipe looks like the only challenge left. I guess we can't have performance without noise :p

Bill Norton
98 and 91 Tsi AWD

·
Registered
123 Posts
HRC makes a Super20G w/ a 10cm housing and an internal wastegate. They have one bolted on a factory non turbo car, stock head, stock cams, etc....., a chrysler motor for god sakes, and it ran an 11.xx at 122.xxx I think. It's on their website. Buschur says you can run mid 11's on a 2.5", but the 3" definitley can't hurt right??

·
Registered
80 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98TsiRelic:
1. My goal is to mod my 1G to run mid 11's and be streetable at the same time. I'm thinking I'll require a 20G turbo but would prefer an 34mm internal wastegate without boost creep if possible? If it is clipped only 7 degrees I'm shooting for full spool no greater then 3500 rpm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a Buschur 20G. Full spool by 3600 and well proven to run 11's easily and 10's with enough other supporting hardware. Of course that is with an external wastegate.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98TsiRelic:
2. I would prefer a full 2.5 exhaust with test pipe as a means to prevent creep, keep the noise quieter and help with low end but would this exhaust size hinder my mid 11 second goal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know of a guy running 11.4's @ 121 with a 2.5" downpipe and test pipe but he does have a 3" cat back. I'm not sure how much a 2.5" cat back would hurt performance. BTW, he gets full spool on a Buscur 20G by 3600 with that so if you went full 3" all the way back you might get full spool by 3300 or so. I had a Frank 4 and went from full 2.5" to full 3" and I went from full boost at 4500rpm's to full boost by 4000rpms.

3. Any preferences on FMIC's? Buscher's FMIC looks like it can do the job but it's $1350.00<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Granted it's expensive but it includes everything you need. Fan, new catch can, all piping and couplers. You do have to modify the bumper some, or just leave it off as I did :D Again it's a proven intercooler and got me ~5mph over my Alamo FMIC that I had before with my Frank 4.

4. What size resistor do I need and where do I connect it to do my own MAS mod to prevent fuel cut? Is this necessary? The 98 is more tolerant to fuel cut then my 91 so do I need to be concerned here or will my S-AFC solve my problem or will both?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beleive it's a 5.6k resistor. I tried doing it myself but it didn't work out right and just went ahead and ordered a Blaha MAF.

Just my .02 Hope it helps.

------------------
Jerry
11.98 @ 113
best mph of 115.99
My Ride

[This message has been edited by LaserAWD (edited October 09, 2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts