DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone noe if there are any diff with the japan spec "cyclone" 4g63 engines and a 4g63 like i have in my 93 talon tsi now? im goin to need a new motor..and found these japan spec cyclones at ardperformance.com. any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Dunno really..i have the 4G63 NT European model and I am thinking oif getting a turboengine from ARD as well bu t they say that the engines they can provide fits best for the 1GEclipse..why I dont know...cause since I have the 4G63 in my 2G Eclipse as origianl it should fitr just as well in mine..right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm..i dont noe for a fact..but i think the motor mounts are diff between 1st and 2nd. any one noe if this is true?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The only differnece I know of is the cyclone has a dual runner intake. I think as far as the engine goes, it compares to the 1G specs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you are talking about the engine i think ur talking about(i wont tell where.. i dont wanna buy it dont worry), i have been talking to that guy and he told me the cyclone intake is different, the engine is identical.. it is the jap only market intake.. he is supposed to get back to me with some details shortyly.. ill post then

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
not that it isnt a great engine.. i am just interested in a 1g head.. sorry didnt mean to imply something was wrong with it

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are a couple of differences with the Japanese 4G63. First the most obvious one is the Cyclone intake. What this does is reduce turbo lag. It has 2 runners per port, and under vacuum one of them closes to keep velocity in the intake. Then under boost they open back up. We tested this on my 2g with a 16g, and we noticed a conciderable difference. Barely any turbo lag between shifts. You shift, and the boost is right there. We spun through 3rd in my 95 FWD.
Secondly the valves come with a nice back cut from the factory. If you look at aftermarket stainless steel valve they are the same except for the stainless steel part. They are Swirl polished and back cut. Did not notice any difference when we put them in a different head, but they are a bit better than the American version.
Third the thermostat housing is different on some of them. The ones that we have gotten do not have a place to fill the coolant on the housing. That is on the Jap Spec radiators. But you can just put yours on there and it will work fine. Some of the turbos are actually machined a little larger on the inside than the American 14b's.
Be very careful where you buy it from we had one motor that we were told was in good working order, and it came out of a 40,000 mile car, but when we pulled the head that was a different story. Rings were bad, pistons had marks from the valves hitting, and it was just nasty. If and when you get a Jap engine don't just install it and drive. Pull the head and check the pistons and rings, also pull the pan and see what the bearings look like. Remember that these engines are imported, and have probably been sitting around for a long time. Do a good oil and coolant flush before installation.

If you really want one I have some connections and I can probably beat any ones price.

Richard www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

·
Registered
232 Posts
i am interested.. been trying to see how feasible a 1g w/ cyclone intake would be to put in my 95.. anythought?? how bout getting back to me on a price range at [email protected]

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

·
Registered
167 Posts
my dsm smarts end before this so this might be a stupid question (but i dunno). is there anyway to put that cyclone intake on the (stock) engine in my 97 GSX? and richard, how much are they? thanks,
PAUL

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the Cyclone intakes are missing the EGR setup. This could be a problem for those of you with real smog inspections...

·
Registered
232 Posts
the cyclone has duel runners to each cylinder.. those runners would vastly outflow your 97 head.. so yes you could probably cram it on but whats the point... your head wont flow it so dont bother.. get the head to match it and it would be worth while... someone on the talon digest just put a 1g head on a 2g.. he has a site with pics up if ur interested.... the whole point of the cyclone intake is the duel runners.. one has a butterfly valve and stays shut at low rpm to keep intake velocity up.. when flow becomes more restricted the second runner opens up and supplies the additional air needed

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well you can put the cyclone intake on your car but there are some issues that you will encounter.
(1) The ports on the Cyclone intake are larger than the intake ports on your head. This will cause loss in power. You will have turbulent air going into the head and that is not good. A local guy did this to his 95, and he lost 3 mph at the track. That's about 30 or so hp.
(2) Like the guy before me said, the EGR is blocked so you can not hook up your EGR system. This will not make you lose any power, you will probably pick up a little since you will not have all that hot exhaust gas coming back into your intake. If you live in FL than your all good. If you live some where else that has smog inspections that your in trouble. The Check engine light will come on, but that is nothing to worry about.

On a side note I wanted to let you all know that putting a 1g head on a 2g is a bad idea. Let me explain. First there are alot of things that you have to get to make this work. (1) 1g thermostat housing (1) 1g water pipe (3) you may have to tap the 1g head for the 95-96 cam angle sensor if the holes are not there. (4) the head studs on a 2g are 11mm, and on the 1g they are 12mm. Although it is not that big of a difference you may have a problem with oil flow out of the head into the head stud area becuase of the smaller studs in a head with larger holes for the 12mm studs. A properly ported 2g head will out flow a 1g head. I know what you guys are thinking NO WAY!! Trust me I port these things all day long. 2g heads have better flow characteristics than the 1g heads. There is a more direct path to the intake valves on the 2gs after they have been ported. It is also cheaper to get your head ported. If you add it up a 1g head is about $350. Water pipe $50, thermostat housing is about $30, etc, etc. I charge $450 to port 2g heads to the size of a 1g intake manifold gaskets. Then you can get that Cyclone intake manifold and enjoy the low end torque.

Oh Cyclone intake manifolds are any where from $100 to $175 depending on where you get it from.

Richard www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

·
Registered
836 Posts
Richard, I've just talked to you on the phone, - Thank you for all the answers, and suggestions about the Jap engine, I'll let you know what I go with :)
Thanx!

------------------
Mike,
Small 16G
HKS Mega Flow
2G Ported ExhaustManifold
2G Ported o2, 2.5 Greddy DP, 2.5 Test / High Flow, 2.5 Greddy Catback
Spearco FMIC (not installed yet)
2.5 CMV UIP
Greddy ProffecA, Greddy Timer, Custom A/F Gauge,
H&R Springs, KYB AGX
VDO's

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
First, look at rule #7, second, since the thread is this old, you might as well just open up a new one. GL with your searching.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The only Taboo page that is up still I think is the Vacuum hose elimination.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts