DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought people might be interested in this build I have been at for some time now. I bought a 1990 TSI AWD prob over a year ago, 100% stock, and have been working at it a little at a time. The car had the worst cheap paint that was literally flaking off the entire car. I stripped it to bare metal in my garage and did and doing all the body work.

Here are a few pictures of how I bought it and the steps im on now:

Completely shaving all the molding from front to back:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
JDM headlights

I tapped the holes and threaded them. This was my alternative for soldering.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drivers side marker mod:

Also used two threaded rods for support:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, are you following the instructions off the other guy who did this?

You might want to state that these are not jdm dsm headlights because noobs will be all confused.
That member is darkstartsi, he was very helpful and helped me sort out the correct lights when I was buying them.

As far as the body work on how he did the hood lip, fender work and head light brackets, I have no idea what route he took. He did mention that I would need to trim the hood line after welding the pop ups, but I didn't have to do that. Maybe he will chime in. I just went to Home Depot and got about $35 worth of supplies and got to work on the hood lips and fenders.

I had a local shop weld the pop ups and weld custom adjustable headlights brackets.

Yes these are JDM Silvia Nissan 240SX headlight and side marker lights being adapted to fit a 90-91 DSM.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to see more pictures, it looks really good so far.
I should have the passenger side done by Friday and ill get some frontal pics.

BTW, the color is going to be changed to a matte/satin classic white with matte (low gloss) clear coat, and the top will be matte/satin black.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looking good. Definitely keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Very cool! I will wait to make an opinion about the shaved doors etc. once I see it done...personally I kinda like the molding but then again I'm biased just like every other 1g owner :) Cant wait to see more!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
This is still not a JDM DSM headlight conversion. Yes those are jaydeeemmm 240 lights, but you'll confuse the crap out of newbies that step in here looking for jdm tyteness.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks.

Yeah im pretty stoked on how this build is turning out. I was also very reluctant on what to do about the moldings. I'm looking for an old school/modern retro look. I did some photochopping before I took the dive and I liked it. But yes, the final product will be interesting to see.

I'm gonna go try and get the passenger side fender done today.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is still not a JDM DSM headlight conversion. Yes those are jaydeeemmm 240 lights, but you'll confuse the crap out of newbies that step in here looking for jdm tyteness.
How else can I explain it from what I posted?

".... these are JDM Silvia Nissan 240SX headlight and side marker lights being adapted to fit a 90-91 DSM."

If the noobs don't get it after all the pics and reading these posts, maybe a DSM is the LAST car they need... hehe

1 - 20 of 258 Posts