DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been around for quite some time I just never really stumbled upon this forum till now. Right now I have 1 12" JL audio W6 in a 12" Sealed Q-logic enclosure. My cousin did the wiring on the sub with the amp but its an older kenwood 1200 watt mono amp. I believe the numbers are something like 400ps or something. I'm too lazy and its too cold to go look. I think it sounds very good. I get nice loud bass with good quality also. I have the stock 6x9's which I'm going to replace sometime soon and some pioneer door speakers. I went with the pioneer DEH-3400 as my head unit. I'm happy with it all. Any thoughts on how to improve or make this sound better??? I was considering getting another 12 W6 but I think that would just blow my head off. And one last thing... How can I reduce the rattling in my car. There's even something rattling up by my drivers side door, kinda near the front.

Thanks!

·
Registered
850 Posts
IRT rattling, I read a little while back that using RTV on the door panels and other joints can reduce/eliminate a lot of rattling noises. And I've never been a big fan of Dynamat, but that might help too.

I think JL Audio subs are great-- I had one in my last car. It was a 12W5 in a bandpass box. I still have the driver, but had to rip the box apart to get it out when I sold the car. I was thinking about getting one of those StealthBoxes for the Eclipse hatch, even though I wouldn't be able to reuse the driver I have now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ya..JL w6 will hit hard but for the most powerful and best sound i would go for the new JL w7's they are the best sounding car sub that i've ever herd. but there just a little to much for me. so what I am planning on putting in my 92 talon are 2 12" Audiobahn AW126Q they hit hard and look rally cool and all at the same time will sound good. I'm putting them in a plexi glass bandpass box which is light and will look cooler for the amps I haven't yet made up my mind.

As for the rattling i would try to tighten up everything that i could and put rubber washers where ever I could. I like good sound with mind blowing, ears melting sound :eek: i hope that at least some of this helps you with your system...GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've also been a fan of JL. I owned a 18w3 which im trying to get rid of and I've had nothing but good sound and lots of bass from it!
The new V2's that are out by JL are very very nice. They can take more of a wallop then the old v1's before they start to whack. If you want more bass also put the sub in the ported box and let it MOVE!!!!/b]
But if you keep it in your sealed box you will have a better SQ setup.

Dynamatt helps reducing the rattling. You can get spray cans of rubberized coating also help out too.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
JL=overpriced

Try a Digital Designs, MMATS, Atomic, Audiomobile, Diamond Audio, or a Concept. Blows JL out of the water with enough power. But most people dont have enough power and say that those high end subs suck. You need like 1200 RMS minimum PER 12" version of these subs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 2 8W6's and a 10w6 they sounded incredible in my accord. I dont have the box but still have the drivers. I'm willing to sell either the two 8's if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want to make your sub sound better, I think you'd be better if you went with a box built for that sub. People say the box makes the difference. Q-logic boxes aren't built for your sub. When I bought my subs, which were 2 JL 12W0, they told me to buy a JL box since its built for the exact specifications for that sub.

·
Registered
850 Posts
bstnsportsfan said:
If you want to make your sub sound better, I think you'd be better if you went with a box built for that sub.
Or custom build a box to the right specs. That's what we did for my 12W5, and it sounded awesome. When I ripped the box apart to get the driver out, I was even more impressed-- that box could've withstood a nuclear blast, I'm convinced. It was built like Fort Knox. For those of you in the DC area, check out East Coast Auto Sound (they built it)-- if they're anything like they were a few years ago, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have been through quite a few subs in my day and i have settled on the JL 12w6's. I have only had a problem with one and i have owned 6 of them. The two i am currently running are about 3 years old and still pound like they did when they were new. I think the one reason i like them the most is they are clean sounding subs that can still pound when needed. Its tough to find a sub that is loud and still clean. Its usually a trade off one or the other. I listened to a single 10w7 and was very amazed by the sound it put out. I am waiting now to listen to a 12w7 and who knows maybe just buy one.

·
Registered
850 Posts
SmokinV8's said:
I am waiting now to listen to a 12w7 and who knows maybe just buy one.
I predict that if you install a 12W7 in a DSM your head will explode. :eek: Those things are impressive.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am trying to build a very loud and clean single 12" sub system and from the sound of the 10w7 I think the 12w7 will definatly do the job. I am into clean and loud systems not just a booming SPL car. I listen to just about every kind of music so I like a good sounding sub to go with it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have heard of the brand but I have never had a chance to listen to them. Most of the car audio stores around here sell the popular brands like your Rockford Fosgate's, JL's, MTX's and so on. There was one shop around me that carried some really hi-end stuff but they went out of business cause the mark up on that stuff doesn't compare to the brands I mentioned above.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really happy with my JL and I got a good deal on all of it. I bought it off of a guy who was sponsered by JL and kenwood. He now has a trailblazer with 3 12w7's Each one powered by their own Kenwood excelon 1200 watt amp. I sat in that thing and holy mother. The subs werent even broken in yet either. It was absolutely awesome. And the box that I have is real close to specs for that sub, The sub requires I think .88 cubic feet of air space in a sealed box. The box I have is .9 cubic feet. So its pretty close and it works for me. I think next I'm just going to upgrade my 6x9's. I dont know if I wanna get another sub, I might just blow my head off. Ohh well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
doug said:
Very informative, well thought-out post :rolleyes: . What are you, 7?
Hahaha!

SmokinV8s, check out Tweeter, I see you are located in New England, I know there is one in Nashua NH (where im from) and one in burlington mass near the mall. If you check out tweeter.com you can find the one closest to you. They sell some highend things...JL, Kicker, Mb Quart, Xtant, Boston Acoustics, Eclipse. Down here in FL, we have Sound Advice which is owned by Tweeter and they had a lot of different brands. I was impressed although I was crazy over the salesman, I will stick to a small local shop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts