DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I got my GS-T the other day. In his big hole was this deck. I took it out and it had a bunch of cut wires. Is this the factory harness thats plugged into the back of it?

Also, i noticed the previous owner cut up a bunch of wires and connected them. Its a big mess.

Now im confused. I see a bunch of stuff not leading to anything.
What are these things? Its a prong thing on the end of a gray wire, a lightbulb on a green and black/yellow wire, and a plug thing that connects to #2 in the last picture.

Can someone identify these numbers please?!?!

·
Registered
5,386 Posts

Prong = Antenna
Light = Cig Lighter
Plug thing - cig Lighter

·
Registered
117 Posts
The harness on the back of your radio is the harness that goes to that aftermarket radio.

The white part with all the wires reconnected looks like the factory radio harness. Where do those reconnected wires go to?

Looks like the previous owner took out a better stereo and stuck that JVC in the hole without even bothering to hook it up.

·
Banned
244 Posts
It looks like he had a 4 channel amp previously installed or it was an infinity amp that he bypassed. Look under the passenger seat and see if that is where those gold/rd spkr wires are running, then decided he would re use the factory harness. I advise you to cut the factory harness and put a reverse harness if you want it back to oem. The prong is the antenna, and the plugs are for the cig lighter. If you dont have a clue what your doing take it to a professional and have them give you advice or even a quote to see what your in for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That antenna plug you are showing looks like it's the diversity antenna plug. It won't work with your aftermarket radio. I see a black cable that is cut in the last pic(appears to be out of the dash and pointing to the driver's side), that may be the antenna cable and it has been cut.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Definitely an amp was in/bypassed.

Easiest thing to do is grab the radio harness from a wrecked 2g and start splicing where the factory harness ends.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Doesnt the stock 2gs come with a factory amp installed? I wonder if he tryed to wire something with that to another amp? That looks like alot of wires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, it should have come with one, but I know of some GSTs that came with the non amped radio.

Either way, rip out all of the blatantly obvious non OEM wires, then wire in a factory plug on the end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Deffinatly .... It takes alittle longer but i would make sure everything you splice back in is soldered and shrink wrapped. It will look alot better. Even though people dont see it. Sorry im just a fanatic about that stuff. If i know its there and it looks ugly i get mad haha.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, ive always used a harness adapter to install radios, and I jump the speakers for a 4 channel off of that harness, so I never touch the factory stuff.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Deffinatly .... It takes alittle longer but i would make sure everything you splice back in is soldered and shrink wrapped. It will look alot better. Even though people dont see it. Sorry im just a fanatic about that stuff. If i know its there and it looks ugly i get mad haha.
I'm the same way. Everything in my car is soldered and shrinkwrapped. No wire taps or crimp connectors. Much cleaner and even better, it is more reliable.

Find a stock radio wiring harness from a junkyard, reconnect it back to the rats nest of wires you have (it should be easy since you're matching the same wire colors together), and buy a wire harness adapter to connect to the new deck's harness.

If it is still there, 2G's have a second antenna for the AM band, if you trace it all the way back it ends up at the top of the hatch. The antenna is actually the wires at the top of the hatch glass above the defrost wires. This antenna wire can be left disconnected or removed from the car altogether.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently bought an 01 F4i Repsol from a friend of mine. The bike runs great and has all kinds of bells and whistles but the other day i went to install a trunk pop because the key lock was missing and you had to pull the cable from the back of the under tail. He some how had broke the the under tail lights and wired in after market blinkers and and a brake light but butchered the tail light harness in the process. jumble answer I mocked my trunk pop for now because the harness really needs to be cleaned up and all wires properly connected before I wire in the trunk pop permanently. Where can i find this rear harness or how can I clean this mess up? All the lights work its just all rigged lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts