DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 1997 GST w/26k miles on it. I want to modify it and have been looking at the GREDDY PE exhaust/BOV, Injen Intake. Being that I am new to the DSM I was wondering if anyone could help me with any info on what parts to buy and what not to buy. Now I know everyone has their own opinions, but my ultimate goal is to have something like 250-275WHP. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also any help on suspension mods would be helpful. I am asking anything from Ignition to a new TC. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would say get a upper intercooler piping with a 1st gen BOV because the stock 2g BOV leaks under high boost. Not only do you gain hp from the u/i piping but you also save ALOT of money not buying the aftermarket BOV. Get a K&N air filter with the 2g adaptor then get a 2.5-3in exhaust. Pick up a boost controller and turn up the boost a notch and you should be sitting around maybe 220-230hp depending on how much boost you are running. Dont run more than 16-17psi on your stock turbo without the fuel pump or you will be looking for a replacement turbo in a matter of time. if you have anymore questions that you might want to ask just drop me a email and i will respond as soon as i can.

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome to the world of DSM's I am glad to see some one buying a 2g instead of the 1g's. Anyway here are a list of what I would recommend that you go with, and when to get what.

(1) you should pick up a nice after market air filter that will eliminate the stock air can and help you turbo get some air.

(2) Start looking into some Catback exhuast systems. Something that would eliminte the catalytic converter would be good to. Just remember that off road pipes are for off road use only. A highflow cat would be good. Try to stay away from Greddy or HKS. They are over priced, and I just think that they are smaller than some of the other exhausts out there. Check www.buschurracing.com www.thedsmshop.com (my site). We both have good exhaust, I am a little cheaper =). 2.5 would be fine, although 3 inch would make more power.

(3)Upper Intercooler pipe and Blow Off Valve. 2 1/4 is the standard size that all the companies make. They run about $150 t0 $250 depending on where you check. The Blow Off Valve to get is the Greddy, it is adjustable and sounds awesome. It also allows you to hook up the Blow Off valve Dump tune back into the Turbo. (this is a good thing)they go for $225. Check my site I sell those too =)

(4)Time for some gauges. get yourself a Boost and an Air Fuel gauge. This way you can keep an eye on what your car is up to. You should see about 12-15 psi. And the airfuel gauge should always be in the green. Go with Autometer they are cheap, and work good. They also have about of different colors to choose from. You spend about $100 for both.

(5) Time for some lower intercooler piping. This will eliminate the restrictive silencer that the air goes through before it hits the throttle body. www.roadraceengineering.com is the best place to get this.

(6) Get yourself some nice Magnecor ignition wires, and some NGK BPR6ES. $80 for the wires and $12 for the plugs. Gap them to .28

I will stop there email me at [email protected] if you want the rest.

Later and have fun with your new car.

Richard www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

·
Registered
97 Posts
You dont need a higher flowing fuel pump until you upgrade to a 16g or bigger. The stock T25 (2g turbo) is too small to lean the car out. Don't waste your time with a boost controller that turbo start blowing hot air into the intake after about 16psi. You might see more boost, but the air is hotter, and the car will start to pull timing becuase of the hot air.

Richard. www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

1 - 4 of 4 Posts