DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 3 caps from machv and put them in tonight. I was very careful and made sure the polarity was correct. Put it in, and the car starts up, 2 seconds later the ecu clicks off, and the car dies. I did not have the ecu fully installed ( i just clipped the harnesses on and semi attached the ground. Would a bad ground do it? The car didnt even do this before I replaced the caps, it just did the chattering click thing.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Could be.. there are a couple grounds that are held down by one of the ECU bolts.. I believe one is the ground for the MPI relay..

but I have run my car and several others with the ECU laying in the passenger foot area.. can't remember if I bolted those ground cables back in or not though. I would give it a shot..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, its not the ground, i fully installed it this morning to no avail, and the room/placon fuse is fine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Try getting a new fuel pump relay (sorry I dont know where you can get those at besides the dealer). The clicking is your fuel pump going on and off, also try and find someone local who will let u borrow their ecu off another 1g eclipse/gvr4, bcuz fixing the caps may not have been a solution, there may have been too much damage to the internal parts to the ecu.

Those grounds are for the heater, so that wouldnt be a problem.
MIKe

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
vr4gazm said:
also try and find someone local who will let u borrow their ecu off another 1g eclipse/gvr4, bcuz fixing the caps may not have been a solution, there may have been too much damage to the internal parts to the ecu.
Agree...
Sometimes the damage is already done to the board, that just replacing the caps will not do the job...:(

·
Registered
921 Posts
I do agree that some times the dammage is done and replaceing the cars is not going to help. but a few things to check

turn the key on. then turn it off and wait to hear the relay turn off.. do you hear a click about 10 sec later from the ECU area?

is the car tuning over?

if it is pull the plugs and check for spark by placing all the plugs ground on to the valve cover and see if it sparks. ( ECU is powered ) The other thing is if it is sparking it doesn't mean that it is getting fuel. if it doesn't smell of gas after a few cranks then it is not working.

Next is finding a VR-4 ECU as they are different then the T/E/L ECU to do a swap test.

Best of luck
BM-

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rdy2race said:
I do agree that some times the dammage is done and replaceing the cars is not going to help. but a few things to check

turn the key on. then turn it off and wait to hear the relay turn off.. do you hear a click about 10 sec later from the ECU area?

is the car tuning over?

if it is pull the plugs and check for spark by placing all the plugs ground on to the valve cover and see if it sparks. ( ECU is powered ) The other thing is if it is sparking it doesn't mean that it is getting fuel. if it doesn't smell of gas after a few cranks then it is not working.

Next is finding a VR-4 ECU as they are different then the T/E/L ECU to do a swap test.

Best of luck
BM-
the car starts, runs for about 2 seconds, then the fuel pump relay shuts off, and the car dies. the ecus in the vr-4's are the same, ive been running a t/e/l ecu for several years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts