DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I dont know which one performs better, but I can tell you this.

KAAZ requires to be used with special oil and they recommend theirs, It makes a clacking noise when you turn the steering wheel all the way and it uses clutches instead of gears so it will wear out sooner or later.

The quife has a lifetime warranty, can be used with any oil and when I installed mine I forgot I had a quiafe in their.

as for performance, it grips way better. if your car is very powerful dont expect it to eliminate the wheel spin, but it will be way less then without it. and if you do spin the tires you will be moving at least not just smoking one tire.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Kaaz - cluch type that will need to be rebuilt every 25K I believe

Quaife - gear type never need to be rebuilt.

I had the Kaaz on my Honda and hated it, it grinds make the car hop around turn.. It sucks.

As for the quaife it's smoother and beter all around.

Go with the quaife

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Peter, they still do but not the housing only the insides. So if you bust the inside they will pay for it. I've just been through this because I broke my trans for the second time, and that what they told me. Unless they change it again? First time broke the stock Center diff second time I broke some teeth and it crack the housing on the quaife? :rolleyes: And if I could change anything I would go with a TRE 4 spider gear center diff that way if you break teeth you will just need to spend 400 on a new one and not 400 to replace the dumb quaife housing, I spent 1000 for the quaife and 400 to fix the housing. If I would of gone with the TRE one I would of spent 400 on it and I'm not sure but cheaper to fix just the housing or buy an new one. So 800 or 1400 You call. And trust me If you break teeth you will be replacing the center diff. The center diff acts as a primary oil driver pumping oil all over the trans. Get what the first thing that get loged in there after breaking a gear. :mad:

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
awdboost said:
First time broke the stock Center diff second time I broke some teeth and it crack the housing on the quaife? :rolleyes:
How the hell do you do that? Are you dumping the 2600 at 7K or something? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
First time I broke it I dump it at 6.5 and got wheel hop.

Second time I launch the car, went into second, and into third that when the problem started, Next thing I know it sound like rice crispy treats and the car was vibrating very badly only in third.. When we pulled it apart the quaife look fine with three chip teeth. But the housing had micro fractures on it. Make sure you change you tranny fluid every 6 months and not every year.. That was stupid on my part.. and the fact that one of the bearing over heated and started to melt. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tell me why Magnus, Fp and john shepard only suggest Kaaz Vs.Quaife? Im pretty sure there doing something right.

Owe the lifetime of the kaaz is around 100k, funny stuff.

Good luck boys im sure your going to need it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
amberhuggatt said:
Tell me why Magnus, Fp and john shepard only suggest Kaaz Vs.Quaife? Im pretty sure there doing something right.

Owe the lifetime of the kaaz is around 100k, funny stuff.

Good luck boys im sure your going to need it.
I would go Kaaz on a race car also, It probably works better than the quiafe. Since their cars are not daily driven and dont see the high mileage we do then it doesnt matter what side effects they get with the Kaaz as long as it works better. But for the average street driver were reliability and simple maintanence is required the quiafe fits in better.

Once again.
Kaaz
works better than the quiafe for some applications. (drag cars, hardcore rally cars etc.)

Requires special oil $$$
Requires break in period
Requires oil change everyonce in a while
Need replacing or rebuilding every 100k in the best case scenario $$$
Makes annoying clanking noises when turning

Quiafe.
MAYBE Not as good as Kaaz (trust me you wont notice)

Lifetime warranty
Any Oil can be used
No clanking noise
No breakin period
No rebuilding or replacing

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would also recomend the kaaz. I know of at least 2 cases of cracking the housing or the teeth around the diff. The thing is, that if a person's upgrading the center diff chances are they beat the drive train. I personally would go with the one that has a better survival record. I can't comment on performance.......so I won't.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What are you doing with your car? The quife is not a lsd and works differently than a lsd. I dont have any experience with awd cars (dont know if you are awd or fwd) but in a 2wd car the quife stops working if a wheel goes of the ground where a LSD will work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mirage4g61t said:
What are you doing with your car? The quife is not a lsd and works differently than a lsd. I dont have any experience with awd cars (dont know if you are awd or fwd) but in a 2wd car the quife stops working if a wheel goes of the ground where a LSD will work.
thats why the Kaaz is perferred in rally applications.

they need all the wheels turning in one direction when the car is airborn.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you are front wheel drive and want to go fast in a straight line, you want a KAAZ. As mentioned earlier it is the only true LSD. IT will lock both wheels together and you will leave two black marks.

If you like to drive your car around corners and have a quiet stock like diff you want a Quaife. Especially if you don't like extra maintenance issues to worry about.

Quaifes are "torque biasing" diffs (their words, not mine) and do not truly lock up 50/50 like an LSD will, but of course are better then an open diff. The helical gears inside of them are the same style/idea you'll find in all "LSD's" offered in OEM applications, particularly Nissan FWD's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a quaife and definitely feel its the best mod to the car. My car is a daily driver and the fact that it eliminates torque steering:), makes accellerating out of turns awesome, and makes driving in the elements of nature more tollerable is why I love it. When I shattered my diff at the track and had to replace it I figured if I got the Quaife I wouldn't have to go back in the tranny to deal with the differential again. So far so good ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts