DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have two original keys from when the original owner first bought the 1g. Last night I was going to unlock my car and the key bent and cracked. Well, I pulled out #2 of 2 keys to unlock the car, and after a couple minutes of mingling the key with the door lock I finally got it unlocked. It did the ignition fine, but my other key only took a couple tries to unlock the door... This key has a lot less wear on it so I'm wondering if that could be the source of the problem??
Also, I went to get another spare from a reputible key shop and it didn't work in the ignition for some reason... (I havent gone back yet)

Oh, and #2 of 2 keys won't lock the door either...
Anyone know why this may be?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
anybody know the solution. i have the same problem and can't even lock my door when i go out to the mall or something.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Damn im having the same issues.

Drivers side door takes some figgiting to open now, and the passanger side opens rite up with no problems at all.

wtf

·
Registered
565 Posts
the drivers side lock mechinism is proubly warn from alot of use. and the passenger side works because you normally dont use your key in that door.

just a guess

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get a new lock tumbler from the dealer and have it re-keyed so you can use original key. I had simular problem , key would only work in one direction in doors , unlock driver's , lock passenger's.

·
Registered
521 Posts
none of my door locks i lock and unlock with my alarm.

·
Registered
366 Posts
ya thats the answer. Keyless entry. Which is where i will be going if i cant get my lock to work.

Im going to try lubing it as well. Might work ya never know.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It might not be worn out. There are a bunch of little metal points that follow the contour of the key grooves. If any of them get stuck in the "retracted" position (possibly from moisture and winter temps) then it will not allow the cylinder to turn when you put the key in.

Heat up the lock with a hair dryer and give it some lubricant. Then use the key in it and jiggle it around until it feels smooth. If that won't work, you may have to remove the lock cylinder and clean it out manually.

I'll tell you right now, getting the cylinder out of the car is a pain in the ass. The actuator rods that connect the lock cylinder to the lock mechanisim are crammed in the end of the door. You need some patience and some short handled screwdrivers to pop the actuator rods out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i dont know if this will help in anyway but here it is.
i just purchased a 91 eclipse gsx and the guy only gave me the key for the ignition. there are no keys for the doors, and the igniton key doesnt open the doors. i went to a locksmith and he told me to bring the car to him and he'll make me keys for the doors for $50. i havent taken the car to him yet because its not registered yet but i'll let u know how it goes as soon as i do it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, that is a common repair. The locksmith takes a "mold" of your lock's configuration and cuts a key to match it. This will work as long as there is nothing wrong with the lock itself.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I've been through this several times and it always happens during cold months.

The last time around I took in my best key to Ace Hardware where I found an older gent who looked to have some time on his hands. I told him that if he made a key it probably wouldn't work since the Mitsu keys are very sensitive (true). Well, this got him all fired up and he folllowed me out to the car for the first trial. When the key didn't work in the driver's door it was back to the key machine where he started shimming the jaw with little pieces of paper. I was a while before he was satisfied with the result. The key worked fine.

So, it seems, the trick is to find somebody who knows what they are doing when you have a key made.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
also 1 thing, when u put the key in, turn left first quick, then right. and as for the ignition, if u put it in, doesnt wanna turn? put ur foot on the brake, turn the stearing wheel left and right while turning, itll free the ignition.

i noticed the door lock problem was due to my power locks, had to go left then right popped no problem. and ignition i have to do that quite often.

ive suggested this quite a few times, few people say it worked like a charm, i guess well see

·
Registered
405 Posts
turbo90awd said:
I'll tell you right now, getting the cylinder out of the car is a pain in the ass. The actuator rods that connect the lock cylinder to the lock mechanisim are crammed in the end of the door. You need some patience and some short handled screwdrivers to pop the actuator rods out.
I figured I'd quote you because I've been there before.

I ended up taking the 8 litte rectangular pieces out of the lock, sanding the corrosion off them, lubing them up and throwing it back it. Worked like a charm till last time I went out to my car; it sat for about 8 months :mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same problem with everyone of my locks. Passenger door went last. I bent a key trying to just get anyone of my doors or trunk open. liquid wrench, WD40, ... didn't work. i had to break into my car to get in.

If it gets this bad, don't bother getting new locks. taking out the lock cylinder is 3/4 of the work involved in rebuilding them. There are 8 copper sliders in there. when you put the key in, they line up and allow the cylinder to turn. take it apart and it will make more sense how it works. or check out www.howstuffworks.com. These sliders can get badly corroded and covered in a white powderlike substance, they almost seize up.

You can push them out with a slot screwdriver, clean with fine grain sandpaper, put on antiseize and slide back in. my locks are good as new now. Just remember: DO ONLY ONE SLIDER AT A TIME!!!! they are all diff sizes and if you mix them up your key won't work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts