DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I want to start by saying unfortuatlly I wasn't in my Talon when this happened I was driving my 92 Sunbird with a V6. It's kinda fun if you read the hole thing.

I was driving down the mean streets of Topeka, Ks today when I see a newer Firebird turn onto the road ahead. He got a little sideways so I decided to catch up with him so I could have some fun. We got stopped at a light and I was in front of him so I spun out when the light changed so he would race me. I was about an 1/8 mile ahead of him when I let off and look back to see him coming up quick so I get back on it and he almost passed me before we had to slow down for some cars ahead. I got through the other cars first and he was right behind me then he pulled me really hard until the road starts to get a little curvy and I easily catch back up cause he went into a curve a little to fast and I blow right by him mostly because it probably scared the crap out of him when he almost wrecked his car. Heres the funny part. About 2 miles ahead I was coming up to a red light and I needed to turn right but this POS 80's Dodge truck was already at the light waiting with his turn signal on so I decided to cut the corner through a gas station on the corner. Well I saw an opening coming but the 60 year old man in his POS Dodge cut in and I didn't have room to get in. He knew what I was going to do cause when he drove by me he had this huge grin on his face like :D . Normally this would have pissed me off but for some reason I thought it was funnier than hell a 60 yr old could cut me off and a kid in a Firebird couldn't even control his car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey alright! another Kansas DSM'er! welcome aboard. Firebirds are fun to mess with...even though most usually beat me, but its still fun to see the look on they're faced while a 4cyl keeps up with them...

****EDIT****oops didn't even notice the "standard" talk status, guess ive never seen you around before...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Salina, wow that's getting out there. ;) I've seen a few other members from Ks but never from Topeka. At Heartland Park I've only met four other DSMers.

I love kids in Firebirds, Camaros, and Mustangs that try to race me. Their like my battery is the same size as your engine and you think you can beat me. It's lots of fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Topeka!

I'm from Topeka too!!

I havent seen any other Topekans on here either...its pretty cool.

I frequent Heartland Park's test and tunes maybe you've seen me there....white 97 Eagle Talon AWD.

I love the V8 guys too. On the last test and tune everything finally came together for me as I had a personal best of 12.38 at 109, a whole second better than the previous week. I had one run against one of the what I call "real racers". One of the guys who are there to actually tune for the upcoming bracket race. It was an 80ish monte carlo/gran prix type GM with huge slicks, a V8 that revved like a sport bike and sounded mean as hell. I wasn't really sure what was gonna happen but i thought it would be interesting. when the green light lit, he got a much better reaction time so he was about a car or two ahead at the start, but at half track I passed him! I could'nt believe I was actually pulling hard on this "badass" V8!. At the traps I ran my first 12, a 12.5 to his 13.7. Back in the staging lanes I popped my hood, did some tapping on the ol' Pocketlogger, while he and his pit crew, several lanes over, had their hood popped, probably wondering which jet to change and giving me the occasional curious stare. My cousin was standing up by the starting line during the race and I asked him if there was any public reaction to that run, seeing as how 4cyl 12 sec passes are rare at Heartland Park, and he said that as that guys pit crew was on the track watching the race one of them, in an confused and exclamatory tone said, "12.5?!!". Man that made my night.

sorry, this turned into such a long deal...glad to me another Topekan DSM'er

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a guy that works at a dealership but I thought his was a 95 and I've seen an Eclipes with clear tail lights on the street. Are you eighter one of them?

I haven't driven my Talon in a while cause it keeps breaking. :mad: I've got a red 90 TSI with polished aluminum five spokes. I only know of four other dsmers and it's always nice to meet another one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well I work at the Ford dealership.....do you know me?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy? I was out at Heartland Park 2 years ago in my Talon. I know Randall with the Super Probe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rusty? hehe...yep its me. Did you know Randall doesnt have the Probe anymore? He got rid of it and got a second gen rx-7 and gave up on that, sold it and know he's pimpin a first gen ford explorer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What he sold the Super Pube! I loved the 5 gallon bondo hood he made for it.:D

I saw you a few weeks ago on the highway. I passed you do 100mph + in the merging lane between Adams and Gage. I was in my pos Sunbird. It has white fenders and front bumper, blue grill and with everything else red.:(

So your in the 12's now. Damn that can't be on the T-2small turbo.:D What else have you done to it? I haven't been able to do much to my car except blow the motor a few times :mad: Does Shane? (I think) still have his DSM?
Glad to hear someone is having good luck with their car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
LOL...that's not even right...I think it was 7 gallons..anyways

Me and Shane are still pimpin the DSM's. Shane has run a best of 14.3 this year in a sweet ass match versus a dumbass, trash talking idiot Shane's brother goes to school with and his 96 Camaro Z28..."the first year the had 300 hp" or some crap like that....he ran a 14.9 and all of his friends made fun of him for losing to a four banger.

No t25 for me anymore...Before the start of this season I decided I wanted to go fast so for motivation I made $350 worth of bets with V8 guys at work that I could go 11.8x or better by the end of the season...I had to pay up, but everyone told me they were shocked I made it to 12.30s. I tell most people I have an upgraded turbo with all the supporting mods, since I know they are clueless, but I think you are an exception to the rule sooo...

Big 16g, ported and clipped, from Buschur
The $36 k&n type filter/adapter from a site i cant remember
2.25" MAS to compressor inlet pipe (made from JC whitney piping)
Dejon Lower and Upper intercooler piping
Spearco FMIC kit, from Doug's Dynopower
2.5" turbo back homemade mandrel exhaust (again JC Whitney)
Hallman Evolution boost controller (the in-cabin adjustment one)
Self ported exhaust manifold (collector only)
550's, RC engineering
SAFC
Pocketlogger
ACT 2600
Walbro 255hp

Now that I look at it that doesnt seem like alot. Cost altogether was about $3700. When I ran the 12.3 I had the back seats and spare removed, Shane let me borrow his slightly lighter 16" wheels/tires, the passenger side headlight removed and a 50/50 mix of 92 and 110 octane.

I think I remember you passing me in the rainbow bird now that you mention it...if I'm remembering right I was gonna pull in front of you, luckily I saw you in the mirror. Were you really doing a 100+...seems like I estimated about 90 but who knows...hehe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Forgot to mention...still running stock head, intake manifold, and throttle body.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me and Shane are still pimpin the DSM's. Shane has run a best of 14.3 this year in a sweet ass match versus a dumbass, trash talking idiot Shane's brother goes to school with and his 96 Camaro Z28..."the first year the had 300 hp" or some crap like that....he ran a 14.9 and all of his friends made fun of him for losing to a four banger.
Give him my congrats. :rockon:
2.25" MAS to compressor inlet pipe (made from JC whitney piping)
2.5" turbo back homemade mandrel exhaust (again JC Whitney)
JC Whitney and Home Depot are great! :D Did you get the exhaust wielded or just clamp it? I had some problems with my exhaust with it clamped.
Were you really doing a 100+...seems like I estimated about 90 but who knows...hehe
I had my speedo buried and it stops at 100. I hit the speed limiter I just don't know when it kicks in on the Sunbird. :eek:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I found out my speed limiter kicks in at about 110mph. I thought for sure it was 120mph :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol....man, I think that is too fast to be going in a sunbird

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whats really funny is it still pulls hard at 110mph and it feels nice and smooth. I'll bet it has another 20mph in it if I took out the speed limiter but I'm not going to cause I have a DSM that needs all my money.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
You got any big plans for the DSM this winter? We missed ya at Test and tune this year.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to rebuild my motor soon cause I burnt the rings a couple of months ago. I'm definalty going with 2gen pistons if not better. I'm also going to port the head and I'm going to try to "extrude hone" the intake manifold at home. I've got a Supra manifold that I will practice on first just in case I screw it up. Also I finally got a Supra mach IV intercooler so I get to install it and while I'm there new intake pipes are getting made and installed. My weilder is going to get a lot of use.

All together I'm hoping to gain 40 hp just from the 2gen pistons and port/valve work I'll be doing to the motor. If everything works out good I might gain more than that but I guess I won't know for sure until next season.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey that's awesome that you said you want to do an at home extrude hone...I had the same idea a while back. How do you plan to do it. I thought I could get a container of some kind fill it with some abrasive liquid/putty mix of some sort and plumb one end of the container to mine or shane's exhaust pipe, plumb the other end of the container to the manifold, and floor it hoping that the exhaust would force the mixture through the manifold.

Shane has also throwing around the idea of rebuilding his engine. Do you plan to do the work yourself or do you have a builder/machine shop in mind.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to use the Supra manifold to test several different ideas I have. Using a foam with an abrasive in it would work the best I think. Using a sandblaster might turn out good but I don't know. I've heard some racers use acid because it leaves the stock orange peel look and the class they race in has rules against porting. IMO, thats to messy and it won't leave a smooth finish like I want. I'm just going to test anything I think might work and do the one that works the best. Also of I take the valves out of the head and bolt the head to the intake I can to both of them at the same time. :D

I'm building my motor my self. I know I can do as good or a better job then someone else can do. Also I should be able to build it for under $300 including 2gen pistons, rings, and machining the rods.:)

What the hell does Shane want to rebuild his motor for? I remember checking it out when I "test drove" it before and the motor and tranny seemed to be in good shape. Tell him to run a compression test on it. If it's over 140psi on all cylinders tell him not to waste his money unless he want's to build a stroker motor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts