DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats this knock LED??
I know What it is, A LED light that lights up, I guess when it hears knock,but
How does it hook up..
Reply with some info.
Please..
KID-tsi

·
Registered
270 Posts
The knock LED mod doesn't really indicate knock. It simply indicates when the ECU is attempting to back off the boost using the boost control solenoid. The only time the ECU will do this (well not really...especially for 2G's) is when there has been enough knock detected by the ECU to necessitate a boost decrease. The ECU will attempt to retard the timing first and if the knock still persists, will then start chopping boost. The 2G's have some code built into the ECU to decrease boost as the rpm's increase. It does this for no other reason than to limit power...even if no knock is detected. The LED mod is marginally more useful on the 1G's. It really doesn't work well as a tuning tool for adjusting boost levels since the ECU has already retarded your timing from increased knock sums before the light even starts blinking. It is a good indicator if something goes wrong. If you'd still like to hook one up for the hell of it, there's a vfaq for installation on both generations at www.vfaq.com .

------------------

Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Actually, in the 2G, the BCS is not used to drop boost as RPM increases. It is only used to "soften" the onset of boost between 2700 to 3500 RPM. It is cycled, i.e. turned on and off, to lower boost slightly, so that it doesn't feel as abrupt when the turbo kicks in...you know, to enhance the "luxury car" feel. :) I think the mitsu engineers COMPLETELY missed the mark with this little code. Yes, we want a high performance AWD 210 HP turbocharged sports car but we're worried about too much of a kick when boost comes on??? :) Ahh...the same guys must have designed the 3G eclipse.

[This message has been edited by Jehu (edited September 27, 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts