DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm currently planning on buying dsmlink for my daily driver and am currious about its limitations.
I've got a two part question.

What's the largest injectors that have been successfully run on Dsmlink? Preferably on a daily driver. I know that for instance the S-AFC's limit is 720cc injectors.

My next question.

Would dsmlink be able to run eight injectors? I would be wanting to run them in parallel (?) ((at the same time as regular injectors)) with the normal injectors. Would this be as simple as tuning for four very large injectors?

Why am I wanting to do things the hard way and run eight injectors? First, I like to do things the hard way/think outside the box. I already have an extra fuel rail, stock injectors, and 1g intake manifold. If dsmlink can handle it why not? Another reason is I currently have dreams of entering the USCC. Why I need eight injectors for that is staying under wraps. :D My plan if I could use eight injectors was to have the second fuel rail on the back side of the intake manifold. 180 from where the stock one sits. All I would need to buy is a 255 or larger pump, afpr, ss lines to connect everything, and injector harnesses. I was planning on buying everything but the extra injector harnesses anyway. The current plan was to run a set of 550cc injectors (have these already) in the stock location and the 450s on the back side, which would theoretically give me about 1000cc worth of fuel. More than enough fuel for what I'm after.

Anyway, please let me know what you guys think. If it can be done or not. If I'm a complete retard/newb for asking. Thanks for all of your help! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
It would be much easier to run 4 injectors, and there are guys who run 1600cc injectors on daily drivers using dsmlink.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Yep, I know one friend of mine has run 1600cc injectors through DSMlink without any real issues on the street. Obviously 1600cc injectors aren't intended for a street car using gasoline, but they still were drivable on the street.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow, 1600cc injectors. I am running 780cc injectors with my old style afc...I am switching to DSM Link.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shleppy said:
It would be much easier to run 4 injectors, and there are guys who run 1600cc injectors on daily drivers using dsmlink.
Aside from plumbing and wiring the extra injectors what would make it easier? My main concern is would you be able to tune the eight injectors (ran in parallel) like a really large set of four injectors.

·
Registered
631 Posts
haha tried running my 780cc injectors with an safc...no go...i couldnt even get the car to rev about 3k, sounded real ugly...but dsmlink came to the rescue ;)

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Blizz92tsi said:
Aside from plumbing and wiring the extra injectors what would make it easier? My main concern is would you be able to tune the eight injectors (ran in parallel) like a really large set of four injectors.
IMO the real question should be, how does using 8 injectors make life easier? More parts, more wiring, more custom mounting, and really, if you're running 780's with an additional fuel controlling device, you're looking at more cost. I don't understand why you'd want to do it in the first place.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eight injector setup:
Stock 440cc injectors: $0
550cc injectors: $0
Extra DSM fuel rail: $0
1g Intake Manifold (for modifying and porting :D ): $0
Injector Wiring Harness: $60 (at the most)
Modification of 1g manifold for extra injectors: $???

Four injector setup:
1000cc injectors: $370-440.

Parts I'll need either way:
Walbro 255 pump: $99
Aeromotive AFPR: $142
SS lines
Fuel Rail Fittings
Inline Fuel Filter

I'm seeing the eight injector setup being cheaper in the long run. It'll be a little more work (wiring and plumbing) but shouldn't be that bad. I'm also willing to be the first to try it. I might be on to something .... I might not! :D I'd personally like to give it a try with parts that I already have, instead of going with the flow. If I didn't have the parts already and had to buy them then I'd be with the rest of you on four injectors being easier. I'm not quite ready to start the eight injector experiment yet, but I think I'm definitely going to give it a try when I am.

Back to one of my original questions. Would tuning the eight (parallel) injectors be the same as tuning four large injectors of similar size. If someone very experienced with dsmlink could give some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
back in the day, it was easier and cheaper to run a second set of stock injectors or even one larger one as a secondary fuel supply.

Nowadays you can buy a set of huge injectors for less than $350 brand new. Plug em in, they fit like they came from the factory in there. No wiring, drilling, machining or other friggin around, no leaks etc. no oddball tuning.

And I run #75 injectors with an SAFC and a 2g maf, no real problems. DSMLink would be better, but this setup works ok.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know this from a friend who owns a dsm speedshop, but am not supposed to talk about it. There is only one time ever that thomas set up dsmlink to run with 8 injectors for a full tilt drag car, and it was a pain in the ass to do, and very time consuming. Dsm link is not set up for running 8 injectors, and to do so is completely custom. In other words, he dosen't want to do it again, only did it as a favor for a friend, and would charge out the ass to do it again if you somehow got him to agree. I love to save money too, but this is not the way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
shleppy said:
I know this from a friend who owns a dsm speedshop, but am not supposed to talk about it. There is only one time ever that thomas set up dsmlink to run with 8 injectors for a full tilt drag car, and it was a pain in the ass to do, and very time consuming. Dsm link is not set up for running 8 injectors, and to do so is completely custom. In other words, he dosen't want to do it again, only did it as a favor for a friend, and would charge out the ass to do it again if you somehow got him to agree. I love to save money too, but this is not the way.
This isn't a secret.

It's Russ Coxes drag car, 8 1600's running methanol.

You pull the oem resistor pack, wire the injector pairs (2 to 1) and adjust the global fuel and dead just like any other DSMLink setup.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Blizz92tsi said:
Why am I wanting to do things the hard way and run eight injectors? First, I like to do things the hard way/think outside the box.
Where did you get the idea that "thinking outside the box" means trying the most impracticle inventions imagineable? Thinking outside the box doesn't mean thinking impractically. I just wonder why in the world you would undertake this project when there will be absolutely no benefit over running four? It's more complicated, heavier, and much more of a PITA to deal with than four. But if you like to do things as impractically as possible, go for it.

That said, I highly doubt DSMlink would be capable of doing this.

And 720cc injectors is not the limit for an SAFC2. My brother is running 1600cc injectors on his SAFC2 on his RX7, and his car is fast.

I'm also wondering why you need 1000cc injectors...are you aiming for 800whp?

Now I realize this is a pretty negative post, but I hate to see someone undertake something so pointless.

·
Honorary Moderator
4,838 Posts
The question is, are you going to need more than 4 1600cc's for your car? They cost less than $300 for a set. Will all your time spent in R&Ding this be worth less than $300? ;)

Unless you're swapping a rotary in there :D :D , I don't think you are going to need that much fuel. Cars running on CH3OH typically need more fuel than gasoline. So if this project is gasoline powered, I see no point in this enterprise. :confused:

-Mike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:( Well I thought that the thread would go this way when I was posting it. Consider my parade rained on. I know that it is easier to just buy larger injectors. It would probably after research, development, plumbing and wiring negate the money saved. I already had the parts and didn't think that it would be a big deal to get the intake manifold machined for the extra injectors. DSMlink was my plan for tuning the "oddity". I just wasn't sure how large of injectors DSMlink would be able to handle. I was hoping that with the parts I already have I'd have enough fuel as a set of 1000cc injectors, just going about it in a different way. After some more "brainstorming" (I'm not so sure I'd call it that anymore, for myself any way.) I decided to put the project on hold until I max out the "new and improved" fuel system and then go from there.

You guys have crushed one theory/idea, but I'm still swinging for the fences and building for the USCC.

Now where did I plant that money tree? :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re-inventing the wheel.........Check the for sale thread theirs some 950cc's for the same price as the list of parts you want to fabricate yours for and thats the same flow. Unless your going all drag/methanol injection its really pointless. Wouldn't you rather have a well running fast car then a slow car thats outside the box?

I promote the creatism but not in a counter productive manner.

dsmwookie

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm also wondering why you need 1000cc injectors...are you aiming for 800whp
1000cc injectors on pump gas will reach their limit a lot sooner than you think.

·
Honorary Moderator
4,838 Posts
SM00TH976 said:
1000cc injectors on pump gas will reach their limit a lot sooner than you think.

Yes. Most people don't realize that there are alot of crazies out there running more than 25psi on pump gas. :p :D

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
running 1000cc injectors here on my dsmlink also. gotta have alot of fuel since im running 91 octane owl piss.

planning on goin alky injection down the road too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts