DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I'm getting sick of seeing picture of DSMer using tefon tape on their AN fitting ... THIS IS WRONG !!!

Just want to make things clear because I know it's not every one who know how to work with different kind of fitting or adapter threads because you can see teflon on AN fitting in many pictures on the forum ...

AN Fitting:

These fitting are called FLARE Fitting. Why flare fitting ? Because it seal with the flare, not the threads ! Do you put teflon ? NO ! Why ? Because if you put teflon it will be hard to screw the fitting and the flare will be in contact to seal. You need to take care of not scratching the flare on your male adapter since it's what make it seal.

JIC Fitting:

Same as AN but in a different class threads. Can you mix them with AN ? The answer is yes you can with no prob since they have the same angle and seal with the flare ! ;)

ORB (O-Ring Boss) or SAE fitting:
Here's an ORB to AN adapter.
This is the fitting or adapter with an o-ring at the end of the thread. Do you use teflon ? Again NO ! The only thing that seal is the o-ring so no need to put teflon. If it's leaking your SAE seat is not perfect like it should be or your o-ring is bad ...

Inverted flare fitting:
Here's an Inverted flare to AN or JIC.
Mostly use with brake ... Like the name say it's a flare fitting but in the other way than AN fitting. Do you put teflon ? I guess you get it and the answer still NO.

Pipe fitting:
Here's a Pipe to Pipe adapter.
Pipe fitting is the only place where you need to put teflon since it's the threads that are sealing !

End of story ! :cool:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I put teflon tape on my ARP's because it's awesome.

·
Banned
32 Posts
IMO, If they can't try to look it up forst to make sure it's right, It's their problem. If they ask someone, then it's pk. But if they don't search or ask someone, it's their own Dumbass fault lol.

However, nice write-up, It should atleast help SOME people that want to do it right lol.

·
Senior Moderator
3,398 Posts
This is a good write up. Moving to tech articles. If you wan't to continue to add to this OP, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.