DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil on the 8th to 10w-40 AMSoil, i thought the oil had a good reputation. Now my lifters are ticking non-stop and loud as hell- my car is slow as hell now. I used to use mobile 1 15w-50, or valvoline synthetic, with those oils my lifters would tick only until the car warmed up, now they tick all the time. has anyone had any similar experiences with AMSoil? or does anyone know how to remedy lifter tick without pulling the head apart?

Thanks-
JOHN

·
Registered
62 Posts
replace them, get the newer ones, it's worth it. Trust me, the hole on top is so much larger, and I'm only 30 minutes from Farmington Hills and no ticks at all during cold start ups recently even during the colder weather last week.
I've done the cleaning,and tried different weight oil. Doesn't work all that well.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I'm not sure why the lifters would have gotten louder with the Amsoil.
I switched to amsoil and so did a fellow dsmer and both of us have had very good luckl with it. My lifters are very quiet for about 3000 miles after each oil change and when the oil starts to get dirty they start to tick more. When I change the oil they go quiet again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It may not be your lifters, instead it could be excessive carbon buildup on your pistons and your valves hitting eachother. I haven't used it but start with Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. How many miles?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I never had an increase in lifter noise using Amsoil, and others I've talked to who have used it have commented noise actually going away or become less intense. One thing that was recently mentioned to me was oil filter quality. Apparently some cars are experiencing this noise when a cheap filter is used, maybe the internal bypass valve is weak, or something causing the oil pressure to be a bit weak and to not allow the lifters to get oiled properly. I don't know how valid this is, it's something that was told to me that was being discussed on another site right now, and switching to a higher quality filter, Amsoil SDF, Mobil 1, or Pure 1, seemed to solve the problem.

------------------
Mike
91 Laser RS-T
www.technilube.com

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lifters are just ticking worse and worse and setting off the knock sensor. The oil pressure is actually higher with the new oil and now the lifters tick non stop. A couple other questions I have- what causes the ticking noise in the lifter and where can you buy a new set of lifters for cheap?
thanks
-JOHN

·
Registered
62 Posts
New one's from Conicelli Mitsubishi cost $176. It is believed that what causes the tick are air bubbles in the lifters and between the lifters and the rocker arms. With the new ones more oil will flow, no bubbles, no tick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts