DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of days I had really gotten curious about this linux thing. So, like any curious network guru/computer geek would do, I downloaded it and installed it for 'fun' (sad isnt it. :().

Anyway, up until now the only thing I have known is Dos and Windows; and from what I have seen, linux is awesome! :D It is still really hard for me to grasp it all, but I see how things are done, and I see great file compression, and I see stability and it looks great.

Any other linux users out here? I am running on Redhat 7.3 and it is fun to play with. I am trying to get my stupid amr modem installed at home.......which requires me to burn redhat install cd3 today. :mad: :D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
try mandrake.
so much better

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Installation process is much better I think.
Much better tools/options
and overall nicer GUI and everything is more 'pretty'

·
Registered
143 Posts
We use RedHat as our standard linux distro here at work (http://www.skynetweb.com) for all of our dedicated customers.

I love it! I've used debian, mandrake, slackware, and gentoo. RedHat is by far my favorite.

I still run XP as my primary os though. :D

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I am testing out my ability to install windows apps/games. Does anyone know how I would do this in redhat? I have wine, but it just seems to want to choke.

What is this process like in other 'flavors' of linux?

·
Registered
565 Posts
ummm, to my knowledge you cant install microsoft product nor microsoft compatable products on linux. i believe they use different file types.

but if you want to run windows products on a linux based system, get Lindows, it costs $100 for a membership, then you have access to all the programs on there sites including the os or any new one that comes out.

i run linux, it doesnt freeze up, ever, and im only running it on a pentium(eww) 2. i cant wait till i set up a network in my house so i can get it online
lynx looks fun (a web browser that doesnt display graphics or pictures, but about 90% of a web site is graphics, cut those out and you are loading web pages as fast as you can click:D

by the way, they also have a normal web browser so its not like you have to use lynx.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
klamath said:
Redhat 0wnz you! That or try Lindows, thats right Lindows. Ive been using Linux for about 6 years in the production envoroment and lovin it.
Ok, then I have a question for you. :)

I am trying to install my modem drivers, and am getting an error saying that 'modversions.h' is missing and that I should configure my kernel. The file is present as I can see it ( it is located at /usr/include/linux/modversions.h I am trying to install from /home/stansd/pctel-0.9.4/) I am guessing there is a path in my kernel that I can change to point to the dir where the modversions.h is.

·
Registered
312 Posts
is it a winmodem? You might want to recompile the kernel, it isnt to hard, get the source from ftp.kernel.org. Even numbers are stable (2.4) and odd are non-production kernels (2.5). Get the souce, put it in your /usr/src your /usr/local/src are suppost to be for daemons and such. make menuconfig after that, make clean; make dep, make ; make modules ; make bzImage ; make install

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dont try Lindows.
It is by far the worst OS i have ever used(I collect OS's) Its unstable and sometimes unuseable. Most MS products dont work save for office2k (xp dosent work). Hardware support is ok, I ran into some small problems installing my SBLive5.1. And god forbid if you try to install a game that uses DirectX, you might have to reinstall. If I were to install a linux distro it would be redhat 7.x.

I run a multi-boot system:
Main os: XP
others: 2000, 98, Redhat
(2 80gb hdds)

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
199of2k said:
Dont try Lindows.
It is by far the worst OS i have ever used(I collect OS's) Its unstable and sometimes unuseable. Most MS products dont work save for office2k (xp dosent work). Hardware support is ok, I ran into some small problems installing my SBLive5.1. And god forbid if you try to install a game that uses DirectX, you might have to reinstall. If I were to install a linux distro it would be redhat 7.x.

I run a multi-boot system:
Main os: XP
others: 2000, 98, Redhat
(2 80gb hdds)
What options DO you have for installing a DirectX game under linux (redhat 7.3 in my case)? From what I understand, you really dont have any options.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts