DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have an Expo with a turbo swap and almost done, there are only a couple of med size issues. First since there isn't much room for a short route piping on the FMIC, I decided to go with a PTE1000 Liquid to Air IC. Now this is the first time I am doing this so I have a some questions. Hopefully I can get some input.

What's done to the Expo- 2.0 rebuilt with 2 g pistons, big 16g ported with a tial 46mm w/g, DNP manifold, 3" turbo back exhaust, JMF intake manifold, with a NT 63mm TB, COP setup, PTE 660 inj with 6AN lines to and from tank, Walbro 255HP pump, Aeromotive FPR, Keydiver chip, Maft pro running speed density.

Since the motor is a temp setup, the IC is definitely an overkill for the 16g, but future plans are a 2.4 with a FP 3065 or bigger.

What I have already:

Afco aluminum Mustang Cobra heat exchanger (radiator)
JM Fab Overflow can
PTE1000 LTW ic
Johnson 030P7-1 pump

Do I really need to have a heat exchanger to use the LTW ic?
Will the heat exchanger cause cooling issues to radiator?
Will running the pump from the JM overflow or a bigger resevoiur be enough to cool the LTW IC without the heat exhanger?

Thanks guys!

John

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Are you running it as a DD or only on the track?

If it is only a 1/4 mile car you could get away with just running a reservoir filled with ice water. If you ever plan on running it as a DD or even on the highway you need a heat exchanger to bring the water back to ambient temp. The heat exchanger may cause cooling issues; you might have to get more fans and a better radiator. You won't know until you put it in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will be a DD since it's a wagon :)

Hopefully the heat exchanger won't interfere too much with the cooling. Currently just I changed the rad into an all metal, but may upgrade it to a Koyo Evo III rad, if there are cooling issues.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
547 Posts
First off, let me get this straight. You plan on using an overflow container as your water reservoir? That won't work, you need like 3-5 gallons of capacity for it to be effective. Get a small fuel cell and use that instead. If you don't want to spend the money, get a 5 gal. Igloo cooler and hack it. Secondly, the heat exchanger shouldn't affect your radiator's efficiency much (less than a FMIC). Without running ice water, your efficiency is gonna come from maintaining as close to ambient as possible temps in the water. With a 5 gal. tank and a Honda Goldwing radiator as a heat exchanger, we never saw over 115F charge temps on a 90F day. This was starting with 80F water, and after a pull it quickly reached ambient. After that, the water stayed just over ambient even after repeated pulls. I'd HIGHLY recommend a gauge for the temp in your water tank and a gauge for the charge temps. This will help alot to ensure that your system is working efficiently. Sounds like a cool project, good luck with it and post some pics!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve93Talon said:
First off, let me get this straight. You plan on using an overflow container as your water reservoir? That won't work, you need like 3-5 gallons of capacity for it to be effective. Get a small fuel cell and use that instead. If you don't want to spend the money, get a 5 gal. Igloo cooler and hack it. Secondly, the heat exchanger shouldn't affect your radiator's efficiency much (less than a FMIC). Without running ice water, your efficiency is gonna come from maintaining as close to ambient as possible temps in the water. With a 5 gal. tank and a Honda Goldwing radiator as a heat exchanger, we never saw over 115F charge temps on a 90F day. This was starting with 80F water, and after a pull it quickly reached ambient. After that, the water stayed just over ambient even after repeated pulls. I'd HIGHLY recommend a gauge for the temp in your water tank and a gauge for the charge temps. This will help alot to ensure that your system is working efficiently. Sounds like a cool project, good luck with it and post some pics!
Thanks Steve,

Saw pics of your car and was going to follow on the gullwing rad. Problem is there is a lack of space that's why I decided to go with the Afco heat exchanger. As far as a reservoir I was more concerned about space issue, after I get the ic, I'll see what I can fit in there :)

Thanks!

John
BTW I'll get some pics up this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts