DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an autometer egt gauge...(we'll see if that was a bad mistake or not)..and am wondering about the best location for the probe. I know the #1 runner is the best location due to its tendency to run leaner, but also think that it will easily surpass the 1600 degree mark on the gauge. Where have you other autometer guys mounted your probe? maybe the collector?

frisco

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Actually, #2 will normally be hotter than any other port. The only issue with mounting in the collector is it is already quite a ways down the exhaust system. Best results would be midway down the runner.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yo I just got an Autometer EGT gauge too... I thought you are supposed to run it off the first runner... but yeah I read a review of some guy wishing he got a gauge with higher than 1600... I thought 1550 was danger zone???

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have installed several EGT gauges, you need to tap the manifold from the #1 cylinder about 4-6 inches out from the head. if your air/fuel ratio is properly tuned your EGT will not go over 1600 degrees but will be around the 1550 mark.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just ordered the Autometer EGT gauge a few days ago. Did you have to weld the probe fitting to the exhaust runner? I had heard somewhere that it needs to be welded, which seems like a lot of extra work. I was hoping that it came with a screw fitting, so I could just drill and tap like the other EGT gauges.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is an old post regarding that little thing to weld. If I recall you only need to weld it if you have have some sort of tublular headers or something that isn't made out of the same material our stock exhaust manifolds are made out of. Scroll down though and look for the old post... I didn't see it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I just got my Autometer egt gauge yesterday, it has a drill and tap mounting "plug." whew
I plan on installing this weekend. I partook in the former post on this matter of having to weld it in. Awdmike is correct in remembering that it would need to be welded into a tube style header. I understand that #1 runner is the spot. There has been some experimentation at Codsm with different runners and the collector. Collector was tested and deemed way too hot due to continuous flow from all four cylinders, a runner receives a pulsed flow from only one cylinder. There is a site: www.stevetek.com that has some info on this and a hi-flow fuel system that virtually guarantees all cylinders even fuel flow. Using stock fuel line, fuel flow was tested and it was found that #4 cylinder has tendency to run lean due to consumption of fuel press. in supply line.
I'm gonna double check that site address for you guys.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you're going to modify the fuelrail & delivery, tell Steve to do it right. Run -10 from the fuel tank to the FPR, maybe you could sacrifice for sake of cost and run -8 for the return. I'd also recommend replacing the stock fuel filter with a high efficiency inline filter vs. the stock filter with banjo. Otherwise, the theory is sound, its just the implementation that could use some massaging. As for his tuning theory, I half way agree to his approach. I don't even use the EGT anymore, other than to see if I'm melting sh!t from time to time. The knock sensor/O2 control and ECU response seem more spot on than any manual response I could have to an EGT. Ideally, I check a few times during a session, but even then I do it rarely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts