DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been in Open loop for awhile, tracked it down to the o2 Sensor.

Check out my old one Vs my new one.

I cant find a color chart to tell me exactly what this means, its like a burnt white...

Old

Old Vs New

New Densor

Thanks

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Do you run leaded gas?

Likely running a little lean.

·
Registered
718 Posts
From what I've seen, white usually means you're running lean as EE said. Do you have a logging device to get a rough idea of how your car is running at WOT?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks,

I run 93 Premium only... Pretty much stock 95 GSX
Greddy BOV
stock DP to 3" Open exhaust
rebuilt turbo
Stock 11psi boost

Well I know I have an Exhaust leak at the manifold.
So I guess that would be the cause of that correct?

I dont have a logger, Its pretty much stock and I havn gotten around to getting a logger.
I need to drill out a broken turbo manifold stud in the head.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Running lean can be from a number of things:

1. Clogged fuel filter

2. Clogged injector

3. MAF reading is wrong/you're sucking in unmetered air

4. Vented BOV

5. Bad fuel pressure regulator

Try running a 20 gallon concentration of Chevron-Techron to clean your fuel system.

An exhaust leak won't cause you to run lean, neither will a boost leak. A boost leak causes you to run rich, a exhaust leak causes your turbo to spool slower and your car to become sluggish. Both will hurt performance and cause your turbo to work harder than it needs to produce power.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HOT97ECLIPSEGSX said:
Running lean can be from a number of things:

1. Clogged fuel filter
Never changed that, guess I'll have to.
2. Clogged injector
Could be, idk/
3. MAF reading is wrong/you're sucking in unmetered air
Maf might be reading wrong, not getting a code
4. Vented BOV
Nope... not that stupid
5. Bad fuel pressure regulator
its stock, so idk.
Try running a 20 gallon concentration of Chevron-Techron to clean your fuel system.
Ok will do! thanks
An exhaust leak won't cause you to run lean, neither will a boost leak. A boost leak causes you to run rich, a exhaust leak causes your turbo to spool slower and your car to become sluggish. Both will hurt performance and cause your turbo to work harder than it needs to produce power.

I filled in my answers,

And no, never use any kind of fuel additives...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hot97, how would a vented bov make you run lean? You'd be losing metered air between shifts, meaning you have more fuel than necessary, causing you to run rich. Only way I can see a bov causing you to run lean is if its stuck open and in some magical way sucking in unmetered air. Venting a bov will only make you run rich from what I've seen.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also, It seems the o2 has been bad for a year. So not sure if that has anything to do with the color. yes.... I been in open loop for a year.

also, not sure how im running lean because I know im in Open loop, getting 16.8 MPG and running rich, the exhuast will pop and burn unburnt fuel everytime I let off the throttle....

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
SionGrey66 said:
Hot97, how would a vented bov make you run lean? You'd be losing metered air between shifts, meaning you have more fuel than necessary, causing you to run rich. Only way I can see a bov causing you to run lean is if its stuck open and in some magical way sucking in unmetered air. Venting a bov will only make you run rich from what I've seen.
You're right and I put that part in the wrong area of my post :eek: A vented valve makes one run rich between shifts. Sorry about that OP.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
SionGrey66 said:
Agreed but the rest of that information was pretty good. I'm surprised that came out of Hot's head. Apparently he's picked up a lot more techinical ability.

Some fuel additives will leave deposits on things like sparkplugs and O2 sensors. That's why I asked.

The appearance of your O2 sensor looks normal for being in there for awhile. Even gasoline contains certain amounts of additives. It is possible for things to be whitish because of lean burning conditions but not always. I'd say if anything you've been running rich because of what you say about your fuel mileage but that's right pedal dependent. If you've been running that rich, I would have expected your O2 sensor to be black from carbon.

At this point, replacement of the O2 sensor is a good idea and to continue to check for boost/vacuum leaks, proper working fuel system, and tuning. My GF's car (97 Talon TSi AWD) get around 30MPG in mixed city/highway driving. I will say she's light on the pedal but others such as Hot97 gets mid to upper 20's. So I'd say you have something going on, have excessive driveline drage, or you have excessive wear in the engine to get that type of mileage. Just my internet diagnosis but I'd continue to work the problem until you get to the bottom of the issue.

One last thing, a fuel filter change is definately needed if you've never done one. All I can say is.....enjoy because they're not fun. Not that it's hard, it's just a pain in the ass because of the location they put the damn thing.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Thanks for the kudos Steve! :)

Yea I knew the vented BOV made one run rich but I included it in my bulleted list there. Forgive me as I'm making posts in between doing this and that while "working" at work. :p

OP, with your 255 walbro fuel pump you will overrun what the stock FPR is able to control. This should/will make you have a rich condition and normally causes black smoke out of the exhaust.

The fuel filter is cheap and can be picked up at many major part stores (IE: O'Reilly's, Advanced, Autozone).

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
255 fuel pump? I AM STOCK lol no nice fuel pump here...

My ONLY mods are
Greddy Type S BOV
3" Open exhaust after stock DP (no cat or res or muffler)

Stock Boost controler
stock T25 turbo
stock Etc....

I'm going to drive and see if my code is gone, also I'll replace the spark plugs and wires. (needs em anyways)
And I'll grab a Fuel filter and see about changing that too.

·
Registered
938 Posts
All the plugs and O2 sensors that I've ever come across always come up atleast slightly white. I think Mitsu programmed to cars to run slightly lean at cruise to help with MPG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts