DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a non-turbo 95 talon. the engine was rebuilt in it about a year ago. When i got the car out the shop. the engine vibrated when idling and at 4000+ rpms. it feels like its missing. The shop said it would do that until it breaks in. This has been going on for a year. I would have took it back but my wife drives the car and the year warranty is up. The car does not have the power it had when it was new. I thought that when you rebuild a engine it restores the engine. So, my question is, could they have mislined the timing belt? any input please.

·
Registered
232 Posts
miss aligning the timing belt would in a minor case, seriously f*&$ up engine performance, and in a serious case, destroy your valve train when you turned it over. have a compression or leakdown test done. having worked on alot of cars %90 of the time a cylinder is not firing or there is a unexplained loss of power is a result of a loss of compression... e.g. a friend has an MR-2 where the third cylinder isn't NOT firing, it is just at 30psi so the energy from that cylinder is barely enough to pull its own weight. using a leak down test (easy if you have an air compressor) we found it was an intake valve on his third cylinder not seating... could be bent, could be held open by carbon, ive seen both and experienced the carbon crap on my car, though only to a loss of 20psi. the point is.. his car vibrated at idle but seemed normal at other rpm ranges. minus some power of course

------------------
'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would look into timing belt one more time :) even slight missaligment of a timing belt will have a huge effect on the power output of your engine, also misaligned oil pump (same belt) will throw one of balancer shafts off and cause the engine to vibrate quite voilently.
Whoever rebuilded your engine was full of BS by telling you that it's normal for your engine to shake/vibrate.
Take your car somewhere where they know what they're doing.
If you're in Chicago area go to
TAD motorsports
Good Luck!
Mike
Ralli DSM

[This message has been edited by TurboMitsu (edited August 31, 2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts