DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I go down this slightly declining but long hill, when I get up to about 60 and shit into forth I hear this LOUD CRACK/SMACK noise.

I don't know if it's coming from my sunroof, egine bay or rear. I know it's on the right side of the car though. It doesn't affect driving. It sounds like I ran over a piece of wood and it flew up in my wheel well. I have no clue what it is or where it is coming from. It only occurs goin down that hill at around 60. It might only happen during high speeds. Usually that's the only spot where I go fast around here... I have got to record this, it's so loud yet I have no clue what it is....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I'm breaking the sound barrier? ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
truwarrior22 ----- when I get up to about 60 and shit into forth I hear this
When you get up to 60, do you always SHIT into 4th? Because this may be your problem. If not I would ask around the nieborhood, to see if anyone is missing a cat. I do believe that the last time I found a stray cat at around 60, it made the same noise.:D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thing is I don't really take it up that high that often so I'm not totally sure.... I usually run it hard there and I always get that loud whack, smack, crack sound. The tranny shifts fine. Car runs fine. No steering problems. Don't go over any bumps so it's not the suspension. Just sounds like something rips off my car. It's scary sounding, mainly cuz it's a short loud sound, and I haven't got a clue on what to check.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Maybe it's your inner fender lining hitting the tire? The only time mine rubbed I was at much higher speeds though. More like an indicated 150. You may want to check all the clips and screws in the fender lining though. If you are going up the hill, then over, then down and you are hearing the sound on the way over the top and down, maybe it's something in the suspension compressing, because as you float over the hill you would lose some weight and as you came back down regain it. Just throwing some crazy idears out there. It could also be you breaking the sound barrier, like you said. Does it break windows of houses around you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts