DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
or if you want you can get a set of "adjustable springs" also known as coilovers (*whisper* even though they aren't true coilovers) such as Skunk2 that i believe have the capability of dropping a car as far as 4".

·
Registered
70 Posts
97MitsuGS said:
or if you want you can get a set of "adjustable springs" also known as coilovers (*whisper* even though they aren't true coilovers) such as Skunk2 that i believe have the capability of dropping a car as far as 4".
I have a question about these "Coilovers". Do you have to install a camber kit for the front and rear when you use em? I mean like one day you drive the car at 1 inch lower then stock then the next day you adjust it for a 3 in drop. Do you have to have a camber kit or can you drive it without one (for a day or two) without causing damage? Can someone explain the proper use to me in detail.

ALSO;
I thought about dropping my Talon 1.5 inches. Would I need a camber kit for it? The following is what I'm thinking about grabing up. (Non Adjustables) http://machv.com/tokshocpac.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
97MitsuGS said:
I have a question about these "Coilovers". Do you have to install a camber kit for the front and rear when you use em? I mean like one day you drive the car at 1 inch lower then stock then the next day you adjust it for a 3 in drop. Do you have to have a camber kit or can you drive it without one (for a day or two) without causing damage? Can someone explain the proper use to me in detail.

ALSO;
I thought about dropping my Talon 1.5 inches. Would I need a camber kit for it? The following is what I'm thinking about grabing up. (Non Adjustables) http://machv.com/tokshocpac.html

"The Cowboy"

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, you will need a camber kit, unless you like wearing your tires down ever 3K miles :) You can go without a camber kit, it just won't be the greatest ride, trust me, I know. I'm 2.5" drop on coilovers on custom wheels and skinny ass tires and desperately need a camber kit. Oh yeah, don't forget the alignment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
k here is the thing about going from 1" one day and then down 3" the other and so on is that every time you make an adjustment you will need to get an alignment which can be quite costly. i know a lot of people that have the adjustable springs here and they drop their car like 2" for summer and then goup to either stock or an inch above stock for winter. meaning you only have to get an alignment 1 or 2 times a year. pending on your driving needs i would say that the best thing to do would be to get a set of springs that will give you your 1.5" drop and then a set of adjustable struts such as the tokico illumina, (they just tighten the suspension and do nothing with drop. that's just my opinion.

the thing with camber kits is that they aren't really one of those things that you can put on and take off at any given time, you have put the car up, take off the tires, and then pull the arm off and blah blah blah so once they are on they pretty much stay on.

you can drive around without a camber kit for awhile but you will get uneven wear on your tires, just like blingbling said about 3K maybe more and then new tire time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, you need shocks

If you are running on the originals, or even some inexpensive OEM replacement shocks, don't even think about swapping springs without doing shocks. Your stock shocks are most likely worn out. Even if they're OK, the added stress of higher spring rates and increased suspension angles will kill them quickly.

Have you seen those guys in the really low cars/trucks bouncing down the road? That's a dead shock. Not only is it uncomfortable, it's dangerous. You end up bouncing off the bumpstops, which gives you an infinite spring rate, making the car difficult to control.

Get a good aftermarket shock, period.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My brother recently bought a Eibach "prokit" and KYB AGX shocks. Would he need a camber kit?

"The Cowboy"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts