DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
You have to have the lower timing belt cover off to get to the top-right bolt on the oil filter bracket. Other than that, it is a straight bolt-on that can be done with the motor in the car. You would need a new gasket from the dealer.

If you're doing this on a 6-bolt motor, you can get that oil filter bracket off of any 90 turbo DSM in the junkyard (or parts trader, wherever) for a lot less than 60 bucks. If you have a 7-bolt you'd need to buy from MachV, unless you know where else you could find that part (I haven't seen it anywhere else, it's an EVO part).

I know on mine, the oil cooler ports are 16mm x 1.5, so I used two 16x1.5 > #6 AN adapters and ran #6 AN braided line to my oil cooler. I used the stock 90 cooler since it has good dimensions to fit behind the left front foglight (not to mention it was cheap). Ports on the 90 cooler itself are also 16 x 1.5 ... but if you're getting an aftermarket oil cooler you could just find one with #6 AN ports to make it easier.

BTW, I got my 90 oil cooler and 90 oil filter bracket for $40 shipped on the trader... I spent more on the AN lines and fittings than I did on the bracket and cooler.. lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is stock 90 air/oil cooler good?

Anyone know HOW good the stock 90 cooler is compared to other brands of aftermarket oil coolers? (What horsepower it should support...) Right now I have a 90 oil cooler, but it is partially blocked by my FMIC. If and when I move the oil cooler I don't know if it is worth upgrading.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
You need to remove one engine mount, jack the engine up and down, remove all the accessory belts to get to the cover
but you won't need to remove your timing belt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 90 oil cooler started leaking over time. I replaced it with a Setrab unit. It works very well in the summer and too well in the winter. I'm gonna need to block airflow to it somehow because it's pushed oil temps down to around 150C for cruising. Pics can be found at my site.
-Todd

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nw_talon said:
....and too well in the winter....
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have a pretty constant temp of 60-80 (I think the coldest it got last year was like 50) all year round. I dont want to install another guage, do you think I would have problems with too cool oil? How cool is it where you are in the winter?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Would you please explain more about the thermastat for the oil. Is this on the assembly that attaches to the block?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
95GST said:
Don't worry about oil too cold. It has a thermostat on the housing built in.
In the machV unit? Are you sure? Are you running the MachV oil filter mount?

kxc36g said:
Would you please explain more about the thermastat for the oil.
Its the same concept as the thermostat in the cooling system. It blocks oil from going to the oil cooler unless the oil is at a certain temprature.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any thoughts on the efficiency/HP capacity of the stock 90 cooler, or does it not really matter unless you are road racing....

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe I am confused but where in this part would the filter mount? How would this work on the 2G? Would you replace the water/oil cooler but wouldn't you need a shorter shaft then?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
In the picture the shaft is pointed towards the floor. Comes with shaft casted on. stock oil cooler will no longer be needed. They have one for a 2G (off Evo)

·
Registered
412 Posts
So it is in a spot you can't see on the picture? What kind of oil cooler could I use for a 2G? What AN fitting size does it take? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It has been discussed above, you can find a 90 cooler or buy a setrab for around $100, then get a metric to AN adapter

I would use AN8 for lines, not AN6 that would be a bit too small.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does anyone know what the thread size is on the plate itels? I saw the post about the thread on the oil cooler but was wondering what they are on the part that is being discussed. I basically need to know what I need to connect an aftermarket oil cooler to this part. It is for a 2G so the guy that posted above was referring to a 1G not sure if it is the same.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does the 90 oil housing have the thermostat built in or just mach v? I was thinking of installing an oil cooler but I was also thinking that it could get too cold in the winter. So basically which housings have the thermostat built in?

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
liljdove: Yes, the 90 housing has a thermostat for the oil cooler, as does the 7-bolt version from the Evo.

95GST: After looking at the ID of the banjo bolts used on the stock 90 system, I felt 6AN would be more than adequate. Plus, I didn't want to risk "making the pipe too fat" and losing pressure. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts