DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...

It was time for my local car inspections (outside US) , to get my sticker I had to pass several tests.

One was the breaks test, they made me (even tough I fought over this for an hour ) put my car on a "dyno" like spinning drum two wheels at a time and hit the breaks after 1 minute.

I insisted the car was AWD and it could damaged the trans, but they said that it couldnt damage anything for spining them less than a minute and that if it were a "true" AWD system it should lock up automatically.... yeah right.

The car seems to be fine.

Could they damage somethng ?

Even tough the car seems to be fine, could there be something damaged that I might not know ?

How bad could it be to spin two wheels for less than a minute on a AWD ?

Thanks a lot....

GSXinNeverland

·
Registered
39 Posts
Damn, take it to someone else next time. Take out the manual and show them the section for towing or show them the driveshaft. Those guys are idiots.

·
Registered
374 Posts
WTF??? Were you there when this happened? What exactly occurred? If they chained the car down and put it on a two wheel dyno the non-dynoing set of tires should have broken loose and started to spin. If they didn't then you don't have AWD. There is NO way to dyno AWD in 2WD mode without disconnecting the drive shaft, and that takes around 45 minutes and a coupler. More info please. -Ian

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
yeah big idiots get some info and a messed up tcase and thengo back and sue them!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dddaaarn

I know they are idiots, I bet they never saw an AWD car before (even tough there are plenty of subaru's around here)

I fought with the supervisor for an hour, but heck there was nothing I could do.
Since I was on the car I couldnt see if all 4 were spinning at the same time.

But everything "seems" to be fine, could there be something broken ?

:(

·
Registered
374 Posts
No offense, but look under the back of the car and confirm that there is a differential there. It should be semi-round, have to axles coming out which connect to the rear wheels, and have a long shaft coming out of the front of it connecting to the transmission up near the engine. If this is true then take your car out to a gravel parking lot and have a friend watch as you rev the engine up to 3K+ and slip the clutch out rapidly. If all 4 tires shoot a nice gravel spray out while the car is not moving then your AWD system is working somewhat. Again, no offense intended. -Ian

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
I would have hopped in my car dukes of hazard style and left a 4 wheel patch to say FU!

I hope nothing is broke, WHY DID YOU LET THEM HURT YOUR BABY LIKE THAT, WHY!?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well...

I understand your frustation...I was almost crying to see my poor car being forced on a midage torturing machine.

But, that's part of my local inspections, it is the law. I could raised more hell, but I also wanted to keep it low because of my engine and exahust mods, you know.... not exactly legal. *ejem*

Well, I'll try the "run on gravel" trick as stated here to check, if not entirely satisfied I'll probably raise it on all 4 wheels and start it.
If you don't see a reply here in a week, then the thing broke at 70 MPH and I'm on Ricers Heaven.... with my car

:angel:

·
Registered
560 Posts
From the back seat of a state Trooper's car I watched my AWD get dragged by the front wheels for like 60 feet. The driver then got out of the truck and jumped into the car to [email protected]# with the ebrake and what not. Got back in his truck and dragged it another 20 feet. Finally the FAT BASTARD looked at the side of the car and saw AWD, then called for the flatbed. All the while I am freaking out in the Trooper's car. Watching in horror as the Trooper TRIES to assure me that he is a professional tow truck driver and knows his job better than I. Unfortunately being caught over 130mph didn't leave me with many rights. I think that the cop saw what was happening and figured he would let me sweat it out. Damb Troopers, I swear it must be those funny frigen hats that they where that make them such dicks..

Moral of the story, I agree with ijsaul. They are NOT going to be able to spin the front or rear wheels indipendantly on a AWD, unless it is FWD. They are not even going to have a roller(?) that has the power to rip the ass out of the car, and if they did you would know it because they would give it back all [email protected]#ed up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 fast POS said:
From the back seat of a state Trooper's car I watched my AWD get dragged by the front wheels for like 60 feet. The driver then got out of the truck and jumped into the car to [email protected]# with the ebrake and what not. Got back in his truck and dragged it another 20 feet. Finally the FAT BASTARD looked at the side of the car and saw AWD, then called for the flatbed. All the while I am freaking out in the Trooper's car. Watching in horror as the Trooper TRIES to assure me that he is a professional tow truck driver and knows his job better than I. Unfortunately being caught over 130mph didn't leave me with many rights. I think that the cop saw what was happening and figured he would let me sweat it out. Damb Troopers, I swear it must be those funny frigen hats that they where that make them such dicks..

Moral of the story, I agree with ijsaul. They are NOT going to be able to spin the front or rear wheels indipendantly on a AWD, unless it is FWD. They are not even going to have a roller(?) that has the power to rip the ass out of the car, and if they did you would know it because they would give it back all [email protected]#ed up.
OMG, I am going to have nightmares now. My car was almost towed by this ignorant bastard that told me he was a professional and knew what he was doing. Even after I told him look under the car if you don't believe me. After he did he looked at me with this dumbfounded look and asked "They made awd eclipses". I then asked him again to call in a flatbed.

Everytime I ask for a flatbed and tell them its for an eclipse I always get some idiot in a small truck before the flatbed. As if they don't believe me.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had to have my gf fwd grand am towed twice. Each time AAA only sent a flatbed, even though we could not put it into nuetral. The car kept jerking the front tires and pulling the up the flatbed. The steering council had to be replaced because the key would not turn, hence no putting it in n. I was laughing, it is not my car.:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
On my GSX in the door jam of the driversside, it clearly states that this vehicle is equipped with LSD and not to spin any wheel independently (however u spell it) at anytime. Does anyone elses have the same sticker?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My mechanix may not be able to fix an idle surge but even at the mere mention of an Eagle Talon, the flatbed comes out: and mine is FWD!!! hehe.

·
Registered
995 Posts
flytalon93 said:
On my GSX in the door jam of the driversside, it clearly states that this vehicle is equipped with LSD and not to spin any wheel independently (however u spell it) at anytime. Does anyone elses have the same sticker?
Yes

·
Registered
44 Posts
i got to watch my emissions place pull my rear wheels of my gs-t over the rollers! After that, they blew my clutch, i replaced it, next day, i hear a loud knocking, turns out from red lining the shit out of my motor, they melted some rod bearings...and guess what, they didn't pay for a damn thing. They said my clutch was worn before that. I miss my girl. This happened in march and im just now getting to start the fresh motor for the first time. Atleast I have a bad ass engine. My luck, it will walk.

my car reminds me of that new song: She Fu#*N hates ME!

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,849 Posts
When my tranny blew up it froze and it would not go into N. Sometimes it would but evrey now and then the center diff would lock into place. The tow truck driver had a flat bed but unfortunately the car would lock up the rear wheels after turning a few feet. THey locked up hard as if someone slamed the breaks. Well, he dragged it a tiny bit and it poped free again. THen when he got it down the wheels again turned a few feet and locked up hardcore this time. He had to get it out and he dragged the car out with everything he had inch by inch. No damage done, but my car was off and only dragged the tires.

If it only took a few feet of slow motion to lock the VC, then I bet it locks up alsmost instantly under power. So if they did had it hooked up to a dyno your car would have capulted through the wall, because those rear tires would have had instanly reacted. The worst damage that could happen is a burned VC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hear that :D :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts