DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little 93 Laser 1.8 has run flawlessly until two nights ago. I took a female friend of mine out. We first drove about 2 miles to advance auto, I had to pickup brakes, and when I came out with my new set of pads I noticed a nice green puddle under the car. The upper radiator hose cracked and leaked out most of my fluid. I broke down at the right place though, I was able to get a hose and fluid easily... THE CAR DID NOT OVERHEAT.. I freaking stare at that gauge more than the road since I blew the HG in April. Problem solved. Right? Nope. Maybe twenty minutes later my homemade PVC intake works its way off. First time since I put it on, so figure four months ago? It happened in a parking lot, so the car ran without the maf detecting air for maybe 30 seconds. Again, it was an easy fix, and when I got back in the car there was no CEL.

The next night I'm with this same girl driving and the car starts to overheat, not dramatically, just enough where the fans SHOULD have come on, and they didn't. I drove the car home and the car never overheated while I was in motion.

The next day I did the basic troubleshooting diagnosis and found that the cooling temp sensor was bad, thus not grounding the relay for the fans, thus the fans weren't coming on.

Problem solved right? Nope... Now I got a CEL. The car runs flawlessly but it's throwing a code. So I disconnected the negative cable to the battery and turned the key to start 3 times, which should have cleared the codes. I let the car run for five minutes and violla, the code returns. I can't find an OBD I reader. I know somewhere in that haynes manual it tells me how to pull codes or something, but for the life of me I cannot find that page. I really don't want to buy a logging cable for a 1.8 (is that even possible?) so any help, or direction, is appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to outline exactly what happened.

And yes, the car is a jealous bitch. :eek:

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Car overheating when its not moving + water pump.

PVC intake =

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Erm nope. The overheating problem was fixed. The fans spin now that the coolant temp sensor is replaced. The car does not overheat. And leave my 5$ pvc intake pipe ALONE :p

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heres what happened: One morning I went out to start my car and go to work and it would crank and not start. After going through the diagnostic procedure I happened to unplug the ISC and try to start it. The car would start but idled iradically.. (Duh...) So I went down to the Junkyard and found two ISCs and checked them with my little multimeter. Came home and threw one in and the car started fine and didn't have any idle surge. Take the car for a test drive and park it at the gas station for five minutes. I come back and tried to start the car; she finally started after about a minute of cranking. I brought the car home and checked the fuel pump and MPI relay/fuseable link. The pump is definitely going on, you can hear it whirr. I checked for gas pre-filter and I definitely had enough fuel there. I didn't check it post filter yet.
I also managed to find the diagnostic code reading procedure in my haynes manual, and as it is my first time "looking for voltage sweeps" I'm torn between two codes. One is bad barometic pressure sensor, and the other is timing adjustment. I checked the barometric pressure sensor as per the haynes manual, but it only has you check everything harness side, not the actual MAS.
So here is where I am. I feel like it's a fuel/air problem, not a spark problem. I know I have spark because the car runs fine when you finally get it started. I really do not think it is out of time. I'm sorta leaning to bad MAS and clogged fuel filter. Thoughts?

Thanks, again, in advance.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It shouldn't be clogged fuel filter, but that is easy enough to fix, and its not super expensive. If you've got MAS problems, unplug it and see if anything happens. Or find a buddie and swap around for his good one....

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I unplug it the car stalls out

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally forgot about this thread!

Nope turned out to be my "new" coolant temp sensor that took a crap on me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How ironic... My 1.8 Laser ran fine for months when it was only me and one of my friends, but then I go out with a ladyfriend, BAM my timing belt snapped. A few weeks later, driving with the same girl, my HG blew. According to my girlfriend, and many others, Yolanda (name of the car) is jealous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts