DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've implemented AWDkitkat's suggestion, and added a refresh to the main forums page. (Thanks for the suggestion!)

In theory, if you leave the DSMtalk.com forums open all day in a window on your desktop, it "checks" for new posts every five minutes. The only possible downfall I see is that if it goes through two or more refreshes without you actually checking the new posts, you may actually miss some "New Posts Since Your Last Visit" indicators (lit bulbs).

So,
If you keep DSMtalk.com open all day and keep your eye on it (if your job is at the computer) its great.

If you keep it open but step away frequently, you may completely miss some indicators (the messages will always be there, you just may miss the lit bulbs).

If you use the site and leave between visits, you won't notice any difference at all.

Let's see how it goes.

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

[This message has been edited by WhoaTed (edited September 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've always had to hit my reload button every page (or every few minutes) to get it updated frequently while I'm here. So now I shouldn't have to do that? COOL...
I use netscape 4.7 with a netsonic adder that quickens up internet page loading. For some sites it is great; it is not great for this one though. Once I'm here I have to reload every page to get the latest stuff posted since my previous visit.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>So now I shouldn't have to do that? COOL...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not necessarily... you might have Nutscrape issues. Never met a messaage board script that didn't have at least some problem with Nutscrape. But, let me know how it works and if you notice a difference.

I would *think* there would be a setting in Nutscrape that would force the loading of the page from the server as opposed to your cache... but I don't know Nutscrape very well.

I will look into Nutscrape specific issues and see if there is some way to optimize your settings, or the scripts, to help you out.

Anyway, the refresh is intended to light up the lit bulbs for those that leave DSMtalk running in the background while at work.

------------------
** Ted--95 GSX **

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks Ted,
After your reply I started investigating... The netsonic program that I'm using has an option to exclude certain webpages from preloading that I used. So far, so good. Nutscrape, that's a good one...lol! I occasionally have to use aol at work and I much prefer my Nutscrape??? LOL

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts