DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have full 3" N1 on my car and its really quiet. IS there a way to take out the resonators? I want to get Buschur exhaust just bc it sounds more intimidating, not that its my goal to scare people, I like it for self gratification thats all!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Apexi N1 isnt a full 3" AND it has some extra resonators in it. When I build 3" stainless exhausts they have no resonators and are hella loud with both my TRUST muffler and my friends Magnaflow.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Cut out the resonators and weld straight piping where the resonators were. You want loud, you will have it. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually he is right its not totally 3"

The downpipe is half 2.5inch and the rest is like 2.75 and I think 3" right at the back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an Apexi N1 catback/DP, and its LOUD! You can hear my car coming from 3-4 blocks away when I am on the gas. Hmmm... I like loud things, and my exhaust system is almost to loud for me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Uh, no, I measured the pipe myself when I swapped my exhaust for my stock downpipe, and it's 3" inner diameter, unless I got some "Special" Edition, which I higly doubt.

·
Registered
511 Posts
TALONTED TURBO,
How long have you had your N1? Mine was really quiet when I first got it and nowadays its quite loud.
Yes it has resonators, but it would sound stupid without them. It has such a nice rumble at idle.
As far a full 3" exhaust goes, unless your O2 housing has a 3" inner diam. why would you need to switch to 3" right at the O2? By keeping the diam. of the exhuast at 2.5" until you pass the flex section, you will keep the exhaust gasses at a constant velocity while they are still hot. Once they get to the "cat back" section of piping they have cooled considerably and a larger pipe may be used without sacraficing velocity.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turbo90awd said:
TALONTED TURBO,
How long have you had your N1? Mine was really quiet when I first got it and nowadays its quite loud.
Yes it has resonators, but it would sound stupid without them. It has such a nice rumble at idle.
As far a full 3" exhaust goes, unless your O2 housing has a 3" inner diam. why would you need to switch to 3" right at the O2? By keeping the diam. of the exhuast at 2.5" until you pass the flex section, you will keep the exhaust gasses at a constant velocity while they are still hot. Once they get to the "cat back" section of piping they have cooled considerably and a larger pipe may be used without sacraficing velocity.
No, I wasnt like complaining about the downpipe being 2.5 at the start, just no one said it was lol, I like Buschur style a little more, 2.5 for like 3 inches, then expands to 3inch. But whatever. I still dont think the inner diameter of the Apexi is 3", esp where it meets the DP, the welds look like 1 smaller peice was welded on right where the resonator is. But I love the way the exhaust looks and I do like the way it sounds, I just wish it was a tid bit louder. My 2.5inch custom with Thermal Muffler was louder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had my N1 catback for about 4-5 months now I just put my DP on this weekend.

Yes I agree you dont need a total 3" exhaust. Unless you have a fairly large turbo. I belive this has been talked about a million times.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Get an external dump O2 housing. It makes the grandma in the car next to you think the whole world is coming to an end when you fly past her with boost built. Plus it will help with that boost creep problem that you probably have with your full N1 exhaust. Your car will still be quiet at idle and when driving nice and easy. But when you hit it, better cover your ears.:eeek:

Rob

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have an external for loudness :)

I used to have 02 ported wth ext, dump and damn those are LOUD

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Probally the first time I have heard somebody complain about an exhaust not being loud enough. :eek:

·
Registered
293 Posts
PokeyTheDSM said:
Uh, no, I measured the pipe myself when I swapped my exhaust for my stock downpipe, and it's 3" inner diameter, unless I got some "Special" Edition, which I higly doubt.
I thought it was 3 inch too, but I converted the metric numbers off rre's site and 2.75 (70mm) expanding to 3.35 (85mm) is what it comes too for the N1 catback. I'd rather you be right though.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok now I have a question, OK now with my new set up with the Down pipe and Cat back, shouldnt I be getting some boost creep?? I still am on the T-25, I have only got creep to 16psi (MBC set at 15) and thats just prolly because the air is cold and much more dense than earlier. SOME one please explain this too me!

I am not bitching about not having boost creep just kind of curious...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Devicex said:

I thought it was 3 inch too, but I converted the metric numbers off rre's site and 2.75 (70mm) expanding to 3.35 (85mm) is what it comes too for the N1 catback. I'd rather you be right though.......

THANK YOUUUUUUU

1 - 19 of 19 Posts