DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i have been doin so much research on the past week on what turbo to go with on my 99 GSX. After talkin with people i decided to scrap the Idea of the frank. So we have, the t-25, the 16G the big 16G and The 16G killer. HMMM what to do? Well Ill tell you my goal, and tell me what I need to acomlpish this. I want to hit low 12'z Full interior And maybe a Sub system. The big 16G looks like it would do the job, I dont want to over kill my turbo or underkill it. So SHould I got 16g,big 16 or maybe even T-25? I Want spool up time to be quick as possible, I want to use my stock manifold and if at all possible a Stock (upgraded Wastegate) I live in the bay area CA so sayin pretty stock lookin is important. Thanx guys for any help

·
Registered
45 Posts
Soul,

Like you I'm in the same situation. Even a '99 GSX too!

Also like you I want stock wastegate, I/C, etc.

If you want fastest spoolup possible, it's gotta be a ported 16G (regular, "small") for the 12s. Big 16G rocks at top-end but I think your needs are like mine.

Save some money too, just go regular 16G but ported. Uhm, you can go ahead and do like 20psi even, if you want, but get 550cc injectors and a good fuel pump (and A/F ratio to keep your eye on things).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea 16G seems to me like its the best bet. Can Use a Stock (upgraded)Wastegate, Spool up time is suppose to be nice. Im most likely gonna go with the small 16G then, the Price is usually pretty good, what about Porting and clippin any info on that? thanx

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm also in the bay area. WHere are you planning on getting the 16G from - any recommendations of good shops around here? Or are you going to DIY?

Joe

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would consider the HRC super16G. I have one on mine and I love it. It will outflow any modded 16G, big or small, and has a spool up almost as fast as a stock T-25. about 100-200 rpm slower. As far as the flow is concerned, it has a 10cm housing, so no matter what you do to the other 16g's, they are still limited to thier small 7cm. You can e-mail HRC directly and ask them about this. The Killer isn't a bad combo either. I know a guy that has one. It does spool a little faster due to the ball bearing design, but overall power isn't quite up to the mighty Super16 :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Stock wastegate? What are you guys talking about? Do you mean an internal wastegate? You already have a T-25 turbo and it has the wastegate inside of it. If you get a diff turbo, it will its own internal wastegate. If you want low 12s on a full weight 2G with a sub box, its gonna cost a bit. Low 12s on a 16G is gonna take some lightening and major tuning. RRE says they have had a couple 2Gs get into the high high 11s on a 16G, but I have never talked to these ppl, or know who they were. Ross Lapkof has been able to run 12.14 on his big 16G in his 2G, but he has a ported head, cams, rods, PMS, etc... Here is his page http://rossl.home.texas.net/index2.htm

I guess I would recommend a big 16G if you want quick, quick spool. Otherwise get a 20G and have to modded for an internal wastegate. No matter what way you go, you are probably gonna need a FMIC, injectors, and at least an AFC. I didn't have much trouble getting into the high 12s with a 16G. Making your way down to the bottom of the 12s requires some HP though or a really good driver, which I am not. :) I am currently running a Garrett turbo with external wastegate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh sh**, man you wanna hit LOW 12z? Damn, uh, how about high 12s? =)

Low 12s is like Viper GTS, 993 Turbo territory. Err, like the guy said before me, you will need major tuning and err, 16g won't cut it unless you spend lots of $$$ on many other stuff...

Why low 12s? Mid to high is good enough!!!

"ssh-yeah...say who?!". =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I say low 12'z becuase of My last car, I have a 95 prelude Turbo, 2.4 (punched out) Vtec. Ran low 12'z consistantly. I want my car to be as fast, but with the DSM i get the better drivability. My prelude had gone from street to full race and shold hit 10'z this season. Oh and by the way i had every intention on doin all of the other work FMIC< Headwork (already have a 1 g head bein worked on) I was just askin this question becuase the turbo is the heart of the Motor, and wanted to make sure it was up to speed.

thanx for all the info guys, after lots of research I am inbetween the super 16G or the killer 16G i am gonna do research on the 2 and make my decision, thanx everyone.

·
Registered
871 Posts
hmmm, low 12's on a 16g....good luck. you know there is maybe a handfull of people that have ran low 12's with a 16g on a 2g. make your life alot easier and just get a 20g at the minimum(you could get the almighty BR20g and run 10's :D), if you don't want an external wastegate then look into the hahn racecraft super 20g. this is what i have and am very pleased with it. another option is to look into a garrett turbo setup like a t04e. just curious why you ruled out the frank turbo's already. i'd say that a frank-3 would do the job real good. your definitly gonna have to sacrafice some spoolup time inorder to get a turbo that will put you in the low 12's.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>if you don't want an external wastegate then look into the hahn racecraft super 20g. this is what i have and am very pleased with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bill,
What kind of details can you give me/us about the hrc super 20g? Install, do you have to change alot, when does it spool up, max psi, etc.?
thanks

------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

My DSM

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Am I reading something wrong? In the original post Soul MyD mentions three turbo (after ruling out the frank :() the S16g, the ported reg. 16g, and **A T-25!**
For low 12's I would have to agree that you are going to have to accept the longer spoolup of a bigger turbo in order to meet your goal the easiest.

------------------
1995 Talon TSI fwd

[This message has been edited by greenstreak (edited October 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know of 5 or 6 people in this area running 16g's on 2nd Gens running from high 12's to 12.0's. I ran a 12,41 on a big 16 with horrible compression in my '95. Mike from Gagdetseller is running 12.1's on a small 16...he may have done an 11 last night.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a 99 GSX and I switched from my stock T25 to a Small 16g, ported everything, and 34 mm wastegate. It makes a great difference. And absolutely NO boost creep. TRE did all the work and his work is top notch. If I were you, I'd go with a ball bearing 16g with an upgraded 34mm wastegate from TRE. There's nothing wrong with my turbo, I just hear the ball bearings have quicker spool up time than traditional center cartridge turbo's. Let us know what happens.

Jesse
99 GSX

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got a big 16g from TRE with all the mods including larger internal wastegate. It holds as low as 10psi with no boost creep. It spools very quickly too. I've got ported manifold, o2 housing, 3" downpipe, testpipe, exhaust. I also bought the turbo unclipped for quicker spooling.

TRE's portwork is beautiful. I highly recommend them.

------------------
Shawn B.
95 Talon TSi AWD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts