DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I would say to spend the extra money on the mandrel bent system no matter what your goals are. Even if you only want high 12 or low 13' it will be easier to reach your goal using the mandrel bent dp.

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rushoakr1:
Is it really worth the extra $$ to get a mandrel bent DP? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yeah...the pressbent will not be the same inner diameter through the bends as it would be on the strait part. the mandrel pipe will remain the same diameter the whole way, even on the bends. so say you get a 2.5" pressbent dp, on the bends it will probably only be 2-2.25".

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
729 Posts
all depends on how serious you are about your cars performance. If your goal is to make your car as fast as possible... like say 350-400+ hp, then you might as well dish out the extra cash because the mandrel bent exhaust wil definetly outflow the pressbent.

If high twelves are good enough for you then you might be fine with the pressbent.
Also are you talking 2.5 or 3in? A pressbent three will out flow a mandrelbent 2.5 but probably not by a whole lot if thats worth anything to you.

For actual hp differances between the two, its hard to say how much diferance it would make, but if your real serious about performance you will stick to the mandrel bent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If money is an issue, my advice is to forget mandrel. I did a dyno test on my Probe GT using a GReddy 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, versus a custom (same bends) 2.5" press bent system using the same muffler. Got an extra .6 whp @4200rpm from the Greddy.

Although, that was an N/A car. May be a bit different with a turbo.

------------------
97 Talon TSi FWD/93 Probe GT

VTEC what?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts