DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly how to make one and set it up... or if someone could give me a URL of a site with info on making a mbc. If you could be exact on the bleeder valve I would appreciate it!!! thanx!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Actually, I'm in the middle of making my own ball-spring type boost controller. I'll let you know how it turns out. The hard part is just locating the right parts. But, if you are interested in making your own, here's a brief description of what the MBC needs to do...
1.) There will need to be two ports, one which carries the reference boost signal and the other going out to the wastegate.
2.) Generally, there's a ball bearing that is forced against a seat by a compressed spring, which seals against the pressure signal.
3.) A screw is usually used to determine how much the spring is compressed, which in turn determines the force being exerted on the ball bearing.
4.) When the air pressure gets high enough to push the ball bearing out of its seat, there must be a clear path for the air to get to the outlet port.
Most commonly, a compressor T-fitting is used to house the mechanism. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
You can get manual boost controllers so cheap (Busta-BC is only $35) now why would you go through the trouble of making one yourself? Unless you think you can make it better I guess.

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I actually just ordered a Joe P MBC last week, should get it anytime now, it seems like a good controller from what I have read. I just have the cheap bleeder type right now, and I have to adjust it according to weather. The controller is only like $50, so it's priced okay.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
123 Posts
I charge a little more but I think you guys would really like my controller. It's sold through FFWD performance in Tulsa. It has some nice features NONE of the other guys do. It mounts solid (no zip tie mounts). It has a NICE knob (no cheese little thing) and choice of colors. It's polished and all the outside hardware is stainless. I can also discuss the technical differences if anybody would like to know. It is ball and spring and I did a LOT of work to get it right and make the improvements I wanted.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Heh, I'm making my own due to the following reasons:
1.) I'm a cheap bastard
2.) The parts are only $15-$20
3.) I like making my own things
4.) I think I could do a better job

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Can't really argue with Jehu's 3rd reason... if you have fun doing it yourself, why the hell not? :)

Hey John (FastFWD)... the Parts Review forum will be on-line soon, maybe you can post a review of the JoeP mbc when the forum is open

------------------
** Ted-95 GSX **

1 - 8 of 8 Posts