DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a brand new MHI turbo for $25. I have no idea what it is, or what size it is, or anything else about it. I know it came off a diesel generator, and that its pretty small, and brand new.

My idea here is to throw it on my "throw away" Yamaha FZR600. I really don't need any help with that part of things, but does anyone know how to tell what the hell this thing is? For $25 new, I figured I couldn't go wrong, but I want to know what the thing is before I try to do anything with it.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of it right now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
93_GSX said:
I recently bought a brand new MHI turbo for $25. I have no idea what it is, or what size it is, or anything else about it. I know it came off a diesel generator, and that its pretty small, and brand new.

My idea here is to throw it on my "throw away" Yamaha FZR600. I really don't need any help with that part of things, but does anyone know how to tell what the hell this thing is? For $25 new, I figured I couldn't go wrong, but I want to know what the thing is before I try to do anything with it.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of it right now.
Does it have any numbers cast on it? Like a serial number or something similar?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does. I'm at work, and don't have it in front of me, which is why I didn't post more info. Sorry about that, thats most definitely my bad. I was honestly hoping someone was more successful in searching for a MHI turbo list of some sort, and could help provide that link or info.

I will be home in an hour or so, and can post more info at that time. I can also be patient until then, unless someone has something else to throw down....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.....if anyone was actually paying attention.....I left the turbo at a buddies shop. I can't get the info off it til tomorrow sometime. I will post the info as soon as I get it. I apologize for screwing around. :chair:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You should be able to tell what kind of turbo is it by searching the serial number on the compressor housing.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, finally got off my lazy ass and went and got the turbo from my buddies shop. I kinda goofed a bit, its a Isuzu AND Mitsu turbo.

Here's the stats, hope someone can help....

TD04H stamped compressor housing.
Tag on housing says:
TYPE: TD04H-15G-11
Ser# 970212009
PT# 8970114741
MFD# 49189-00511

Isuzu motors LTD.

On the HOTSIDE, there isnt' much, just two numbers stamped.
The mitsu 3 diamond stamp, then 49189 and 10700

Also, the center section has the mitsu diamonds stamped on it.

The box the turbo is in says ISUZU part number 8-97011474-1

Compressor wheel fins alternate big, small, big, small.

If anyone can help me figure this one out, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Maybe its off a Isuzu Impulse?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I don't think so anyway. The guy I got it from works on diesel generators, and he got it from work. I'd say it came off a diesel generator. It may be the same turbo used on some vehicles, but I know this one is off a generator....and will soon end up on a motorcycle ;)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks SUPER close, but this has no wastegate, which I really like. I can use an external, which will work better with the "header" I need to fab up. I would almost be willing to say that IS the turbo, but with a wastegate. I would assume that means the hotside is different...:(

So close!!! DAMMIT!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
93_GSX said:
That looks SUPER close, but this has no wastegate, which I really like. I can use an external, which will work better with the "header" I need to fab up. I would almost be willing to say that IS the turbo, but with a wastegate. I would assume that means the hotside is different...:(

So close!!! DAMMIT!!
Id say that the compressor is pretty much the same thing and with that one being a td04h, I would say its pretty damn close. That page said the td04-15g had a max HP rating of around 250hp.. so thats what I would go by. I understand if you want to do a little more searching to be ABSOLUTELY sure, though.. better to be safe than sorry, right?

*edit.. I would imagine it is just a different exhaust housing setup since that one was listed as "universal". Also, you can get a lot of the same turbos with the option of an internal gate or not... just look at Slowboy's site.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with "better safe than sorry", but I could always disassemble the damn thing and take measurements. Either way, I am happy to hear 250hp max load, that sounds like she should work just fine on the 600. I can't wait.....:D

·
Registered
830 Posts
93_GSX said:
Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it!
No problem, man... keep me updated on the bike. I have always been in to turbocharged bikes but most people slap them on 1000cc+ motors. I am very interested to see how a 600 will deal with the boost. Are you using a Power Commander for tuning or what?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a buddie that has a turbo'd R1, and he's running 8psi. I would like to get a "big boy" bike, but I won't turbo it. They lose so much streetability. I'll still be able to pull the front end at any speed by just cracking the throttle....small twist of the wrist....:D
The biggest challenge is to seal the airbox, but for boosting less than 10psi, it won't take much. I can either custom make an aluminum sheet metal one, or try and seal the plastic one somehow. The frame already has holes for the stock intake tubes, so I can plumb the charge pipe thru those. I'll run dual charge pipes so I can run small twin BOV's, more PSSSHT sound, oh yeah. The motor is small enough, too, so I can just fit the turbo right behind the front tire, under the radiator, hidden behind the lower fairing. I'll run the wastegate open to the atmosphere, which will sound nice, too. I have an o2 dump on the Eclipse, so I know sorta what it will sound like.
As for fuel management, that is surprisingly easy. The bike is a 1993 Yamaha FZR600, and she's carbureted. I will just have to get bigger jets for all 4 carbs. If I can't find big enough jets, then I drill the biggest ones out. The buddie with the R1 also has a bike dyno, as he luckily tunes bikes for a living....and has a 1g talon btw.
All in all, the project should be really simple. Just some custom fab work, and time with patience. The bike is already lowered 3" in the rear, custom dog-bones. 2 1/2 in the front. I've also put a custom made flame thrower kit, and blue LED's for nite rides. I just hope the lowered stance doesn't hurt wheelies, I"m actually worried I'll just nuke the rear tire.

I lost most thoughts halfway thru this post, so if I didn't finish some sentences, sorry. I've been trying to work on a car and write this at the same time:D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to mention, if anyone, ANYONE AT ALL has any information at all they are willing to share with me, please do. ANYTHING AT ALL, even questions/comments, please share. I like to hear what people think, or if anyone has anything I can learn from, please share!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts