DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Since Ill be taking a decent amount of pics with this build I figure I would post them up for everyone. Basic info... 1997 Talon TSi AWD. Pretty basic tear down and rebuild. Plans are for 8.5:1 6 bolt, 1150s, DSMlink, Shep stage 3, HX-40, suspension and just alot of little things to tidy it up. Ill keep things updated the best I can.

The tear down...

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: MindBlowin03's project: '97 TSi

Steve, thanks alot man. Alot of work indeed.

The car was painted last year and its pretty much in mint shape exterior wise, so I have no plans on touching the paint. The only exterior 'mod' Im doing is adding 95/96 Talon side skirts. The tails are removed because the center was shaved and painted black and the outsides were all red. I simply did not like that combo so I bought a full oem set to throw on it.

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Re: MindBlowin03's project: '97 TSi

After the tear down my first step was to throw in some speakers and an in-dash DVD/CD player. No real pics here, I can show them at a later time.

After that I wanted to take care of the rear end of the car. First thing I did was the rear brake and suspension setup. This included cross drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, Tokico Illumina struts, H&R lowering springs, ST rear sway bar and a general cleanup

Rear suspension/brake setup...

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up the sway bar at Summit Racing. To be honest, Im not sure of the thickness. I did notice it was quite a bit thicker and sturdier than the stocker but didnt measure. If I remember Ill do so tonight.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
3/4" or 19mm front and rears. Not sure of the stock size. 2g's cant run a too big of a bar. RRE used to make 1" or 25.4mm bars upon request but they said additional reinforcement was needed.

·
Banned
256 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Here is the latest on the car. I(meaning we) finished up the battery re-location. Joe(yellow90tsi) welded up the frame for the battery box, I then got all the wiring ran and cleaned up and I ran the fuel pump re-wire in the hatch as well. I then got the interior all back together. Here are some pics...

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Looks like a nice project Nick. :)

I keep telling Joe I have to make it up that way.......................One of these days. :eek:

I guess it's too early to tell as of now, but do you forsee any problems with a 3" exhaust and that rear ST sway bar? I ask cause I was under the impression that they didn't easily accomodate most aftermarket 3" exhaust set-ups. They don't incorporate that "kicked up" section like the RM swaybars.

The car is looking good.

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Harry, I dont see any problems as the bar is only 1mm larger than the sotcker. The angles are slightly different but I think Im in the clear. I wont know for a while though.

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the latest on the car. I(meaning we) finished up the battery re-location. Joe(yellow90tsi) welded up the frame for the battery box, I then got all the wiring ran and cleaned up and I ran the fuel pump re-wire in the hatch as well. I then got the interior all back together. Here are some pics...

The project as hit a small snag as I just purchased a house. Sucks for the car, but great for myself(obviously). Once I get moved in and take care of some things around the house Ill get back into it.

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Been a while since I last updated...
So...I purchased a house a few months back - June to be exact. Since then my priorities have obviously changed...until recently. Started getting back to work on things. Joe(yellow90tsi) and I have been keeping busy, thats for sure. Here is where Im at right now...

The bottom end consists of 8.5:1 Mahle pistons, Eagle rods, ACL tri-metal bearings, new Mitsu main bolts, ARP rod and head studs, new water and oil pumps, BS's removed, FF OFH, new oil pan, new dipstick/tube and literally all new bolts from Mitsubishi. The rotating assembly was also balanced and a torque plate was used during the machineing process. The head has a nice port job done to it, BC cams, EVO VIII springs/retainers, SS valves, Skunk2 cam gears, and new tins from Mitsu(bling)... all held together with a Mitsu 4 layer HG.

Bolt-ons include an ERL T3 manifold, Holset HX-40(6 blade/billet wheel) turbo, full 3" exhaust with v-band connections throughout, Tial 38mm WG, FIC 1150cc injectors, Cyclone intake manifold, Jay Racing alternator relocation kit, etc...

1 - 20 of 149 Posts